Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a customer (actually a couple of customers) that is/are having an issue with getting the tank to fill. This is an 03 forester 2.5 sohc.  When they go to fill up the pump keeps cutting off like the tanks full.

I did a quick filler neck swap ( a good used one) and it has the same issue. Could it be a vent hose that isn't letting the tank pressure vent?  Any help is much appreciated. 

I have a customer (actually a couple of customers) that is/are having an issue with getting the tank to fill. This is an 03 forester 2.5 sohc.  When they go to fill up the pump keeps cutting off like the tanks full.

I did a quick filler neck swap ( a good used one) and it has the same issue. Could it be a vent hose that isn't letting the tank pressure vent?  Any help is much appreciated. 

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/153786-hard-to-put-gas-in-tank/

I have read about these issues extensively. (and, my MIL's 2011 Forester had to have the tank replaced for this!)

there are at least 2-3 ways this can happen generally, with 4-5-6 causes.

one thing to ask your customers - and they need to be honest to help with diagnosis - do they 'top-off' when they fill the tank. The charcoal canister can become flooded to the point it weighs pounds more than normal and blocks proper venting.

the evap 'drain' hose could be clogged - it actually can allow air/fumes to travel in 2 directions depending on system requirements. But, if insects or mud has clogged the hose's outlet, it may lead to a problem like slow filling.

If a bad attempt at siphoning fuel was ever made,if the filler neck is rusted in certain ways, that can cause issues.

if certain evap solenoids/valves are bad, that can cause issues.

if a car sits unused for a long time, the tank's vent valves can stick.

some people just live with the problem, some have discovered that rotating the pump's hand 45*s to the side when filling helps.

it's crazy.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1

maybe some Berryman's B-12 or BK44 w'ever in the tank would un-stick any stuck components?

def. look for signs of insect activity in the ends of the evap hoses in the back.

read this! ;http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2554768

good luck

Thanks,  I have some gas tanks. I was going to dismantle the vents and see which way i need to put air or suction to free them up or where to pour some "stuff" to unclog

As Texan said, lots of causes for this. Easiest check is the air vent for the canister. Spiders/bugs build nests in them and clog them up. On older cars the canister vent has a separate round filter mounted above the canister. Pull the hose off of that and see if it will take fuel.

If it doesn't, pull the hose off the canister itself and try.

If the car has the canister with the built in rectangular filter on the end, there is a valve built into or otherwise attached to the canister that should be checked for operation via putting the ECU in test mode.

Make sure the valve clicks. If it doesn't the valve is probably stuck closed. Try filling with the vent hose removed from the canister. If it fills with the hose removed the canister needs to be replaced.

• 2 weeks later...