Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I test drove an '04 today...I know I should have tried out the '05, but I am not interested in buying a first year redesign, as nice as it looks. I found the MT to be notchy and to have significant vibration transmitted to it, unlike honda's MT which is very slick. Does the MT loosen up. It also seemed quite stiff. I currently drive a 2000 autoT. I have heard that Subaru 2nd gen clutches don't last too long. What has been your experience? It did have a lot more pep than the autoT I have.

I test drove an '04 today...I know I should have tried out the '05, but I am not interested in buying a first year redesign, as nice as it looks. I found the MT to be notchy and to have significant vibration transmitted to it, unlike honda's MT which is very slick. Does the MT loosen up. It also seemed quite stiff. I currently drive a 2000 autoT. I have heard that Subaru 2nd gen clutches don't last too long. What has been your experience? It did have a lot more pep than the autoT I have.
The Honda's FWD, so doesn't it use cables to link the gearshift to the shift forks? That would account for the smoothness.

Last time I new hondas had linkage and not cables I could be wrong I know that they have all been switching or switched to computer controlled trannys and such. Plastic tends to make things smooth feeling yet readily breakable.