Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subaru loyale radiators?

I did come across one variant in the past with a different angle on the lower hose. It also used a different lower hose. But all my others are the same, and use the same hose for top and bottom.

What year was the one with a diffrent angle? I'm looking at a radiator for a 1990 loyale for my 93 loyale

I believe all the aftermarket radiators now have the auto trans tank on the side, but as said before the lower neck is different. I believe 85-89 have ones that angles up, and 90-93 go straight out almost. Either one can be used, you just have to get the matching lower hose. When I've searched in the past the 90-93 ones are cheaper so I've always gone that route. The newer aluminum single rows typically out perform the older copper two row radiators, but it depends who you ask. My single row aluminum ea82 radiator is more than enough for the ej22 it's in front of and I abuse the hell out of it.

• Like 1

They are not the same. Most are interchangeable.

The Loyale ones have a the lower outlet straight out. and the '85-'89 EA82s have it at an angle. You only need the different hose to retrofit...

OE rads for a manual transmission do not have a transmission cooler in them, aftermarket ones do and you just leave the lines plugged. So if you have an auto trans, keep that in mind (A standalone transmission cooler could be used, but water-to-air coolers are considerably less efficient, and typically not thermostatically controlled).

Some EA82s (turbos, I think) had 2-row. Extra cooling capacity which is usually overkill....but worth considering.

Some EA82s (turbos, I think) had 2-row. Extra cooling capacity which is usually overkill....but worth considering.

For the turbo versions it's not overkill at all. 

I found out that it's pretty hard to find even the standard one row replacement radiators here in europe nowdays. I did found one model that fits to my leone and was actually pretty cheap too (under 80€ / 90$ shipped). The thing I noticed that there seems to be a ton of different radiator models available for the leone series (3 gen). Even the one row versions have different sized cores in them. The one that I did found has core size of 645x322x16mm but there was two other common sizes to be found for leone series and those were 590x322x16mm and 668x322x16mm. The biggest is listed for turbo and the smaller one for NA EA82 engines. Funnily the one I've got that sits between those two sizes is listed for 1.3 EA65 engine. I do know that XT has that bigger size radiator and that my carbureted EA82 had that smaller size core in it but that size between those three seems to be the one that is available. 

The same from at least 86 through 94. Except the turbo radiator has 2 rows of tubes for more cooling capacity. I have always upgraded to those. But they are hard to find. There is minor modification required to mount them.

Yeah I purchased a pricey 2 row metal radiator, waited 5 weeks for it to arrive, and it was a plastic 1 row that was sent to me (amazon spectra radiator). returned and gave up on that for now since my current radiator is actually working fine, just wanted to upgrade. the 2" lift actually helped keep engine cool.

FWIW,parts book lists 9 different EA-82 rads just in the 85-89 timeframe.

2 are for XTs.

Most of the other differences seem to be auto/non and turbo/non.

87-88 4WDR california GL sedans have thier own part # for some reason.

Edited by naru