Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belt seems good. Car no power

Hello All!

I have just been given a 1992 Subaru  legacy with a EJ22 that had the crank pulley sheer off the woodruff key. The mechanic said he figured that this threw off the timing 15 degrees. The vehicle started but had no power. So I took off the timing belt covers- moved the cams to their marks aaannnnd. Nothin. The timing belt is all aligned. I even counted the teeth as per the manual and everything checks out.

So here is the question:

-Is it possible that it is still not properly timed?

My only other thought is that they ran it on nothing but the battery and that is why there was no power. (By the time I got the car its battery was pooched.)

Another question is: Does the crank  pulley have anything to do with the timing of the motor?

I can't see how- but what do I know? lol

Thank you for your thoughts on this.

Yoyo

Edited by Yoyota

Ok, so you don't spend hours reading I'll give you a little help. :)

Did you check to make sure the crank sprocket is properly aligned, not just the cams?  The Cams and Crank have to be aligned together.

Have you experienced the lack of power yourself or is it just what you were told?

And yes if the woodruff key blew out the crank sprocket could have turned to the wrong spot on the crank.  

Have you pulled the crank pulley and sprocket to inspect the crank itself (post pictures up here).

• Like 1