Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How high of a lift kit before needing longer 1/2 axles?

Since having kids, I've slowly given away or sold off all of the things which bring me a goofy grin. Now, when I go to buy them back the cost is ridiculous! To save myself this pain again, I've decided that the Harley can go, but my dual range Subaroo will stay.

Because it will be my keeper, I want to go about lifting it to put on larger rims, tires. 

1.  How tall does it need to be for the Isuzu trooper wheel and tire set-up?
2.  How tall should it be to have clearance for crawling about in Beg Bend Ranch (mountain passes and stream bed crossings)
3.  Making it taller >might< affect the alignment and necessitate longer half shafts... has anyone crossed this bridge?
4.  How much turning radius will I lose to the taller wheels and  tires? (I plan on fairly narrrow tires, not marshmallows)

Bonus questions:
With the engine dial reading 266,000 miles, would it be good enough to do a long block rebuild?
What type of engine is easily enough swapped in without needing to buy the entire car to fir in the electronics et al?

Many thanks,

Ryan

looks like you have a 88 DL wagon, if so 2" max is what Id go over stock on the axle lift angle, on the lift kits I make and sell they are 1" over stock on the EA82 and EJ cars and 0" over stock on the older EA81 cars, the older EA81 axles just don't hold up to much over stock, the EA82 axles are stronger with more bell length for more axle movement

if you go with a 27" tall tire I suggest a 4" lift, on my lifts (SJR) its 4" at the struts and 3" at the engine suspension and diffs so its a 3" body lift with 1" suspension lift, no need for different axles , turning radius wont be lost as long as your tires don't hit the body, narrow tires with close to stock rim setback will help , hope this helps and keep us informed on your build Scott

Awesome, Scott! That is fantastic advice and straightforward, too.  

I am baffled at why the Imprezas of the same year had such drastic improvements in HP.  Why is that? My younger Prezzer was a rev-happy curb scraper, it didn't seem near as torquey as my wife's Forester of that same era.

Should I Start the lift, wheels and focus on finding and rebuilding an EJ motor  to drop in?  It must be you and your crew whose videos I watch on Youtube.  I figure you have this down to a science.

Thank you in advance.

Ryan