Ultimate Subaru Message Board

All:

EJ22 is back in the 1995 Legacy L wagon.   Pulled it for clutch / seals / oil seal / etc.

Got the engine back in and she started after I followed the procedure for priming oil pump!   Tanks fairtax4me.

Have lots of other question...but the most immediate.

Car is getting hot.   Was putting fluid in it...and it ran for about 10 mins....went to take it up the street and it moved to H quickly.   Also took the cap off and it was pushing fluid out the cap.

This car is new to me.   When running before did not overheat (in driveway).  Oil looks fine.   Please God don't be a head gasket after all this work.

Anything I am missing here....does this sound like I need to burp the coolant?   And what is best way to do that...saw some other threads.

Concerned in Annapolis ;-)

Thanks,

Tom

pull the vent and burp any air..

With as easy as it is to pull a Subaru engine, I wouldn't pull one and not do head gaskets. Even an EJ22E. You can ignore the timing belt if you want. It's non interference so it will only quit if it breaks

All:

EJ22 is back in the 1995 Legacy L wagon.   Pulled it for clutch / seals / oil seal / etc.

Got the engine back in and she started after I followed the procedure for priming oil pump!   Tanks fairtax4me.

Have lots of other question...but the most immediate.

Car is getting hot.   Was putting fluid in it...and it ran for about 10 mins....went to take it up the street and it moved to H quickly.   Also took the cap off and it was pushing fluid out the cap.

This car is new to me.   When running before did not overheat (in driveway).  Oil looks fine.   Please God don't be a head gasket after all this work.

Anything I am missing here....does this sound like I need to burp the coolant?   And what is best way to do that...saw some other threads.

Concerned in Annapolis ;-)

Thanks,

Tom

Looks like it was air...went back out to check to see if bubbles in reserve tank.     No bubbles.    Filled radiator more...filled reserve tank.

Ran it around the block about 10 times....let it idle...stayed right on the middle of the gauge.

Should I jack it up to bleed it some more...want to make sure it is perfect.   I am looking for what to come out of the drain...just straight coolant?

Tom