Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just bought a 97 Legacy 2.2L and started having the AT Oil Temp light flashing 16 times at start up. So first I did the transmission fluid flush myself. I tried to put in 10, 15, and 20 amp fuse in the FWD slot but nothing comes on even though that dash light flashes on startup so I know the light bulb in dash is fine.

Today I reset the error code by removing fuse 14. After replacing the fuse and starting the car, the AT Oil light doesn't flash 16 times but once I restart without even driving the car, the flashing 16 times reoccurs.

Please help me address these questions if possible and much appreciated:

1. Why doesn't the FWD light come on with fuse in?

2. Since the error code(TCU error 24 I pulled previously from handshake) comes back immediately after ECU/TCU reset without put the car in drive, does it mean it's an electrical issue? i.e. bad TCU, or could it still be the solenoid that's bad?

3. How do I check the connection from the solenoid to TCU?

Thanks in advance.

I grounded the B82 diagnostic plug then did the handshake to read the long and short blinks in order to get the error code.

"FWD light does not come on / FWD mode not engaged when trans has an error that causes the flashing.

The fuse is ignored in that case."- CNY_Dave

Thanks CNY_Dave for that answer.

I am wondering if there's a way to check if it's electrical connection that's bad(pinched wire) or really the Solenoid C is toast( error code 24), or the TCU transmission computer that's failing.

Coil is straight forward to test fir opens or shorts. Check your harness fr physical damage but odds are given the age of the car it can be a tired solenoid.

Just an FYI, the flashing light indicated a failure on the previous running cycle. 

Thank you for taking your time to respond John. Why have I read that people put the fuse in to test if solenoid c is bad since according to what you say it won't switch into FWD mode anyways. Also if solenoid C is bad, is the TCU suppose to register an error right away even if the car is not driven right after a code reset?

Coil is straight forward to test fir opens or shorts. Check your harness fr physical damage but odds are given the age of the car it can be a tired solenoid.

Just an FYI, the flashing light indicated a failure on the previous running cycle. 

Thanks nipper. That's why I thought it was odd that after ECU/TCU error code reset by pulling fuse 14 and without driving the car afterwards, the AT Oil Temp light starts blinking 16 times again after I restart the second time after restoring the fuse 14 for the transmission computer