Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Parking brake dash light 2011 Legacy

Is it normal that the parking brake symbol (the picture of the car on an incline) green light in the upper right hand corner of the dash, comes on for a second or two when starting the car?  I don't know if I've just never noticed it before or if it means something is up with the electronic parking brake.  When I start the car I've been noticing that little green light up in the corner lately, coming on with the other dash lights that illuminate as part of the car starting.  It's only on for a second, it doesn't stay on.  But I don't remember seeing it before.  I have never used my parking brake, I'm not even sure how it works.  I'm having trouble finding info. online.

Yes. The lamp comes on for a few seconds as a test for the warning circuit.

You should use the parking brake. Non-use can cause the brake mechanism to seize and become totally inoperable.

That one should be electronic. You simply push the button to engage, pull the button to release. The indicator lamp should turn on when the brake is engaged.

As Fairtax4me mentioned, this is normal and is part of the warning lamp test before starting the engine.

I would suggest using your parking brake every time you park. Assuming you have an automatic, the parking pawl on automatics is not intended to be the sole member holding a vehicle stationary.

Also, the electronic parking brake is still a typical drum-in-hat parking brake, but instead of being manually actuated by the traditional parking brake lever, an electric motor actuates the application of the parking brake.

These parts diagrams show that, although the cable is actuated by an electric motor, the action is still mechanical. The actual components stopping the vehicle from moving don't really look any different than a manually-actuated parking brake system.

http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2011_Legacy25L-CVT-4WDPremium-Sedan/_54106_6028085/PARKING-BRAKE-SYSTEM/B14-260-01.html

http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2011_Legacy25L-CVT-4WDPremium-Sedan/_54106_6028688/REAR-BRAKE-PARKING-BRAKE-10MY-12MY/B14-263-02.html