Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The "sport" which was the "Outback Sport" never came with a 2.0, just an FYI.  

On the '96 I had and the '00 I have now I average 25 to 30mpg which is anywhere from 350 to 400 miles a tank (I usually get between 14 and 15 gallons on a fill up if I run it close to E).

Getting only 250 the first question would be how many gallons do you get on a fill up?  My grandfather won't let his vehicles go below 1/4 of a tank so of course his fill ups aren't realistic for a full tank on mileage is why I'm asking.

The "sport" which was the "Outback Sport" never came with a 2.0, just an FYI.  

On the '96 I had and the '00 I have now I average 25 to 30mpg which is anywhere from 350 to 400 miles a tank (I usually get between 14 and 15 gallons on a fill up if I run it close to E).

Getting only 250 the first question would be how many gallons do you get on a fill up?  My grandfather won't let his vehicles go below 1/4 of a tank so of course his fill ups aren't realistic for a full tank on mileage is why I'm asking.

The guy posted from the UK. The 2.0 displacement motor was sold widely outside the U.S.

• 2 weeks later...

i know the engine size etc to my car, its a 2.0 ltr sport

I always run to near the empty mark, unsure if thats wise or not but, maybe someone will point out right and wrong, when close to the empty mark i fill up with 95 octane at on or near £40 (around 35ltrs petrol) as im only getting 260 miles to a full tanks seems a little low, this is why i started this thread and wondering if its right/wrong and wether something is wrong with the car

I've gotten about 480 miles out of my 15.9 gallon fuel tank, running on fumes, in my 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek w/ 5-speed manual (for whatever reason, we North Americans get the FB20 engine with the 5MT rather than the rest of the world, in which the FB20 is normally paired with a CVT or 6MT).

Taming my leadfoot is a true challenge of patience to attempt that feat again.

As for running the fuel tank low, it is not advised, as far as I'm aware, the fuel pump is cooled off by the fuel itself so it would be best to avoid your fuel tank getting any lower than a 1/4 tank.

35L = 9.2 U.S. gallon

260 miles

That's over 28 mpg.

Above average for an AWD Subaru. If your car is front wheel drive, that could be low, depending on your driving style.

Fuel pump is cooled by the fuel moving through it. Tank level doesn't matter, unless its a Chevy. I've run my 96 near empty countless times over the 5 years ive owned it. I often fill up with between 13.5-14 gallons. Have even run it to the point of stumbling going around corners several times. About to roll 250k on the original fuel pump.

What transmission do you have, shauny--manual 5-speed?  Does it have selectable 4WD--a lever on the console to go from Front Wheel Drive (FWD) to actual Four Wheel Drive (4WD)?

Over here we only get All Wheel Drive (AWD)--in other words, the car chooses how much power goes to the rear wheels!

Sorry Im new to all the (4wd awd) its a manual 5 speed, sorry for being so dumb but new to all the subaru terms as ive come from a french piece of **** lol

4WD vrs AWD is the difference between being able to turn it off or on.  If you a have a selector to "engage" 4WD then it is a 4WD.  If it is always turning the wheels then it is an AWD.

And 28 isn't bad in all accounts, but even outside the US was the gas tank that small?  I don't think your running all the way to empty. ;)

I dont have the 4WD  switch so now ive learnt it5s a AWD, thats pointed me in the right way thanks, as for not running empty, when the cars at E i always fill up as im nervous about damaging anything or being stranded, as my last car  a peugeot 307 wouldnt run right after running full empty to where the car wont even idle lol..

could my fuel gauge be faulty maybe? as when i turn the car off the gauge doesnt change..

Subaru's don't change with the car off. If I put 8 gallons in my 2001 Forester, from the time the reserve light comes on or within a few miles anyway, it goes up to 3/4 tank. the first 50 miles or so, the needle drops slow, but then it becomes rapid. I go 200-230 miles on that 8 gallons. It's like 27-28 MPG avg.