Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake Code 42 - High G-sensor friction detected

Has anyone ever had this sensor fail?   I was playing around with an SSM2 tool and after running a diagnostic on my brake system, it returned this message:

42 - G sensor high friction detected

The only reference I can find for this code on NASIOC is the "How to read brake codes" thread, but it doesn't go into any more detail than how to pull and decode the codes.  Is this one of those codes that will show up when the car is turned off but goes away when you are driving?

Anybody replace their G-sensor before?

• 3 years later...

just doing a general search, there's more info on it as a definition for an idle switch or TPS-related code if it is a '42' blink-code.

here's a FSM page about it; https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/check-engine-code-42-217170.html

but, if OBDII - P0042 is an oxigen sensor heater circuit.

what car?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I don't get a lamp for this code, but noticed a code for the brake system last time I had the SSM2 hooked up, pulled the code and it was "42 - G sensor high friction detected."

Did a quick read of those threads.  I'll look for a rusty relay, but I'm not missing a tone ring and the code "42" appears to have been given a different function in the 2002 WRX compared to the threads you linked to, which mention "low voltage" as pertaining to code 42.

I'll have to look into the FSM, I don't think the module has ever been replaced, we've owned the car since new.  We did have the ABS reflashed with the updated code all those years ago, which I'm regretting now, noticing how even the slightest lockup will send the ABS system into convulsions...

1 hour ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

^^^ what he said

tribecaGsensor2.JPG

tribecaGsensor1a.JPG

There may be some kind of calibration required if the unit is replaced - maybe the FSM has info on that?

I cant get a straight answer on that. But the first step would be to unplug it then replug it in and see if thats enough action to clean the contacts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1