Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 rear hubs EOI in 5x100 & 5x114.3 ?

• 4 weeks later...

Looing good - I know a few around here are also after these ... ;)

Only extra thing that I can think of - Did you check if a brake disc would fit Ok ... ?

Keep at it & let us know when they ready ... :)

Ciao, Bantum ...

For the brake disc, that part was copied directly off the "other" copy, and those definitely allowed a brake disc to fit (I used to have a set).

Last time I checked with him, he'd gotten a second sample. I think still need third sample to double check the changes (increase wheel locater length mainly).

Still waiting on the "final" version. May even have my Brumby back with the EJ finally all worked out on Monday too, to give the hubs a good testing. It's just taking longer than expected as the guys in the Taiwan office have to put "real" work in front of my "hobby" work :)

I was hoping to have some sets available to take to the US in a few weeks, but that looks unlikely at this stage.

• 1 month later...

They have the second set machined up, but lost the axle stub I had previously sent. I mailed up another one to them yesterday so they can do the final check before dispatching.

The first set (which are the Crossbred copies and don't have the extended support added in V2) are being tested on my Brumby and have shown no issues. I will switch them out when the new set arrive and these will be offered up FS (probably the next 2 weeks).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dyfol, Have you had another update yet?

Also I have another (Probably dumb question...in reference to this earlier post by Bantum...

Also the cross bred one is different again ...

Picture_248sm.JPG

( Found on google ... ) Add Note : They no longer produce this kit, but there are second hand ones to be had ... :huh:

Note :  The drawing is also missing splines for drive shaft, so you will need to make sure it will work with 4WD BRAT / Brumby with spline count to match ...

Ciao, Bantum ...

In regards to the backing plates pictured in the Cross-Bred Kit...What has he done to the mountings?

It kinda looks like hes literally spot-welded a plate over the top of the four bolt mount and re-drilled with a three bolt mount pattern.

What have you fellas done to mount your backing plates?

Edited by ANIM_Hooneru

Have you ever tried to draw splines on CAD? PAINFUL :P

I've seen a pic of a sample, the splines are there ;) And I believe he has a brumby, but the L series & brumbies have the same splines anyway (that's how you can fit RX turbo rear discs on to the earlier models)

We've also been working to fix the deficiencies of those hubs.

I'm glad I got in early buying one of those kits & only bought the 2 useful parts instead of the rest of the useless rubbish...

My suggestion for the backing plate. I've got the adaptors as above. They are good, but not the greatest. I'm got a template so you can mark out the holes. Then I'd suggest welding in a plate (full outside weld plus around the inner hole) which has the proper centre diameter, fill in all the holes with weld, and then redrill them. That would be stronger than using the adaptor anyway. More work however.

On the backing plates, my initial mistake was assuming 2 of the 4 holes would line up - however I found that in fact that doesn't (quite) centre the backing plate to the hub. So yes, the best option is to use an adaptor or create a template and ensure the hub is EXACTLY centered. A ackyard mechanic solution is to elongate the two front-most holes to a point where the centres of the plate AND the hub do align, and THEN drill a third hole to mate up with the third hole on the trailing arm. And I guess weld a washer around the elongated holes to add some accuracy back to the two elongated holes...

And I'm still waiting on confirmation the new samples were checked against the stub axle I sent over - next week with luck.

Funny story on the splines. When I sent the original Crossbed sample, they had no issue copying the splines off an original axle (the Crossbred has been chewed out) - but they were also trying to copy the splines on the wheel stud holes. I had some strange emails back and forward where they were asking for a sample with good splines for the "small holes", until I realised what they were trying to do. When I said it just needed to be a drilled hole (and gave them a sample stud) it became a lot easier !

I need to reinstall my computer, and it took CAD with it :P

I'm happy to draw up a template. Curious if anyone's got access to a 3D printer? Could make the template out of plastic (or whatever) to accurately mark out the holes for the backing plate.

Well...I went to work, Didn't do the calipers, I did however manage to totally mangle my backing plate by drilling two holes perfect, and completely (somehow) messed up the position 3rd one by itself, despite measuring it about 8 times and making up a drilling template.

Anyway. I gave up and sent it to the engineer I use and he is going to fill those holes in and spin up a pair of eccentric plates that will double as an ecentric ring to centre the Backing to the Trailing Arm Stub, and as a plate to bolt through the backing plate to the trailing arm. When he is done I will upload some photos of them.

So now i've just gotta play the ol' waitin' game for Dyfol to post an update.

*Twiddles Thumbs Intesively*

Can I suggest then that you wait until the hubs are ready before doing the backing plate stuff.

I'm going to work on getting a template made up from the stuff I've got at home and we'll see how we go from there.

Otherwise kind of putting the cart before the horse ;)

Just re-reading Dfoyl's answer about the backing plates. I'd never thought of just welding in large washers, although this doesn't solve the problem of the centre hole being too big. As the caliper is mounted to the backing plate (most other manufacturers have them fitted to the cast suspension part) I personally prefer the idea of having the centre hole fully supported and not just on the 3 bolts.

If it's of any use to anyone, I have some photos of the x breed kit which show the backing plate in some detail. They were originally on the Ausubaru development thread which I suspect have been lost in the forum crash that happened years back. I've dropped some of them in an album here:

hope this is enlightening for those that haven't seen them. I suspect I have some other gems saved away on my HDD. I'll have to spend some time digging around.

cheers,

Matt

Edited by ausmattw
  • Like 1

I was trying to find the pictures, but it looks like they were all on the old USMB gallery  :(

rguyver machined a centering ring that he welded into the center of r180 backing plates so they could then be drilled for the EA mounts. He sold a few, and that's when we realized that the center hole for r160 backing plates is smaller.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/88398-ea-ej-rear-brake-adapter-ring-at-wcss10/

From that thread:

"i have the rings for the brembo swap but after several smaller hub rings i have determined its not worth having a ring for the smaller hole backing plates ( wrx, leg.,) STI use a bigger bearing hub so the hole in the backing plate needs to have a ring so the holes are drilled half in the ring and half on the backing plate , just re drill the 3 holes in the backing plate as needed its not overly important that its exact as long as you are with in the 1/8th that the ring would center it ."

Keep in mind, the orientation does not need to be exact (as long as the hardware all clears, and the bleeder on the caliper is still at the highest point), it just needs to be mostly centered.

Another interesting thread (with a lot of dead pics...)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/93607-teaser-rear-ej-brakes-on-ea-car/

But a pretty awesome 2D technical drawing of bolt-on adapter rings similar to the crossbred ones was posted in there:

CORRECTanddimensionedeatoejadaptorc.jpg

Not a great picture, but here are some r160 EJ backing plates that Suberdave modified (you can see the centering ring welded in the middle:

100_9910_tn.JPG

And here's an r180 backing plate modified and bolted to an EA82 trailing arm (also Suberdave's):

brembos-8.jpg

Edited by Numbchux
  • Like 1

I'm trying to reproduce in CAD during my lunchbreaks the measurements of the adaptor. When I get it done, I'll post up a pdf so people can at least just print that out as a template.

The alignment is reasonably critical at least on the later models as the handbrake cable has trouble getting along the swingarm, particularly if you've got a rear sway bay.

• 2 weeks later...