Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 rear hubs EOI in 5x100 & 5x114.3 ?

I have paid for the first 20 sets, just need to give the supplier the final go-ahead once I fit and test the other side (fitted the passenger side this morning and was a perfect fit, but want to do a road test). I am going to push to have at least a few sets ready by late next month so I can bring them to the US and save on freight...

It's going to be around $200 US / pair, maybe a little less. I actually don't have the exact figure yet as I gave the cash (in AUD) to my boss last week to give to the supplier as he was heading to Taiwan. I know he got a poor exchange rate but it was better than going through the banks for the amount (a bit over $2800 AUD from memory). That doesn't include the tooling cost, which I will amortise over this batch. Depending on sales I will run a second batch if I get the interest, which will be a smidgeon cheaper as it won't have the tooling cost.

It won't include studs either, which can either be bought new (about $10 from rockauto) and fitted by the buyer or collected from a JY car (depending on budget and inclination). They will use standard Liberty studs - only the 2nd proto version used XT6 studs (simply because I had a new set, and didn't want to waste them). I *can* fit the studs for those who don't have access to a press but I'd rather not (it takes me a good 20 minutes to do a pair on the dinky hand press at work, while using the big hydraulic powered press is just a hassle with OH&S), plus local prices for studs are stupid (try $30) and with shipping with Rockauto it still costs me at least $20 US. Plus it adds to the shipping weight of the complete hub.

Original XT6 hubs are going for $250 if you can find them, and I believe mine are better in design with the improvements suggested here by users like wagonist. Certainly much better than the Crossbred design, which were a lot more than $200...

• Like 1

I'll work out the AUD price first, as I paid in AUD converted to TWD. Then update the USD price based on the exchange rate of the day people buy (which will be after I have them in hand).

Gave the Brumby a quick run this evening with the v2 hub fitted to pass-side only and no issues at all. Will fit the driver-side tomorrow and give the green light with a few more minor changes.

Keen as a proverbial bean. I'll put money aside for a set this week.

How much do you think each hub would weigh?

I am so happy you have gone through with this, this is literally the last thing I needed to do to the old girl before I took it to the engineers to be inspected. I'll get to drive my first Subaru (legally) on the road again!

Each hub is 1.6kg, including studs (I don't have any sets without the studs installed).

After checking measurements I found one extra error - the "wheel locator" ID was not corrected from dia 48 to dia 45 to give it extra strength as per the original XT6 design. So this is the last change for V3.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi TheKingSwe, you need for the rear:

Any EJ vehicle (with rear discs) rear backing plate including hand-brake cables, rear calipers off same vehicle, and of course discs. You need to modify the backing plate from a EJ 4-bolt to a MY/L 3-bolt design (see info earlier in this thread for the different ways to achieve this).

• 2 weeks later...

I am hoping for next week to have them shipped. Unfortunately I am heading to the US next Sunday so they probably won't make it in time for me to hand-carry any over there - which means I won't see them until I get back in 3 weeks from that date (mid October).

• 4 weeks later...

16 of the 20 units (8 of the 10 sets) have been inspected by supplier and will be winging their way over in the next week. The last 2 sets are slightly undersize in one dimension (-0.05 instead of +/- 0.02mm tolerance) and will take a little longer.

I will offer these up once I have them in hand in three versions :

1. Raw hubs (pair) - estimate $200 US/pair

2. Hubs with used studs fitted (pair) - estimate $220 US/pair (for people without access to a press)

3. Hubs with new studs fitted (pair) - estimate $240 US/pair (as above)

All prices don't include shipping, which for AUS I can ship in a 5kg pre-paid bag (each hub is 1.6kg so just too much for a 3kg bag).

I will not know exact amount under (a) I have them in hand, and (B) I know the number of people who opt for #3 (the more people who want new studs means I can buy more studs from Rockauto and amortise the shipping rather than taking them from donor EJ vehicles at a JY).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys, the 10 sets (20 hubs) are now in-hand and I think I have just about EOI's in this thread to save creating a FS thread that might mean people who have already put up their hand miss out.

Here is the summary as I see it :

ANIM_Hoonaru (AUS, NSW) - 1 set with new studs

Bennie (AUS, VIC) - 1 set

Callum (AUS, SA) - 1 set with new studs

carfreak85 (USA, PNW) - 1 set with new studs

Crazyeights (USA, PNW) - 1 set with new studs

ausmattw (USA, SA) - 1 set with new studs

Peter K (AUS, NSW) - 1 set

Bantum (AUS, NT) - possibly 1 or more sets ?

Still available : 2 sets...

If anyone wants to drop out please let me know in case anyone else steps up.

I'll follow up the 4 unknown status stud options, and then order the required number of studs from Rockauto and confirm the final cost.

Edited by dfoyl
  • Like 2

Just to make the price clear, it is for the Australian guys :

$2755 AUD for batch of 10 sets, plus tooling cost of $3500 NTD (about $150 AUS at the time), means each hub pair owes me $290.50 AUD. Shipping from TW to AUS was free for me, and no duty either.

To add studs is going to cost me $255 for 8 sets (that's all Rockauto have in stock at the moment at the $1.10 unit price per stud) landed in Australia ($187.97 USD = $245.19 AUD plus bank exchange charge which is about 3% or $10 AUD).

That is $290.50 + $31.88 ($255/8) = $322.38 AUD. Which is pretty much my earlier estimate ($240 US with studs = $328.77 AUD). This doesn't cover my time to fit the studs, pack or ship each set. And obviously postage will be dependant on location. Payment by direct deposit (or PP if you cover the fees).

For the 2 US guys, I would highly recommend I ship the two sets to one of you and that person on-ships the other set as otherwise postage for two parcels will be much higher.  

Edited by dfoyl