Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stage 2 Gen 1 wagon rear, hatch, glass rubber update

Ok...it's official! The replacement for the rear window/hatch rubber weatherstrip is the one that fits the VW superbeetle rear glass! I installed tonight in my 78 DL. It was a perfect fit! The "Cal-look" is wider and works better I think. No need for the "reveal" molding then.

My original was pretty dry and brittle.

You can get these strips for next to nothing and they are plentiful, as VW has everything aftermarket AND from the Mexico factory.

I am so pleased that there is now a replacement, as many of these Subis have leaking or bad seals. So pass the word to those Gen 1 wagon owners!

Here's one place they are available.

http://www.westcoastmetric.com/

Todd

.....second,THANK YOU!!

My wagon showe up at a national car event with a patch on the lower passenger side,covering the ever so slight leaky spot.

You'd never know the leak hole was so small.The water coming into the car was way more than you'd expect from such a small hole.

Todd,you completely rule for stepping out often and finding exactly what works and what doesn't.Thanks again for being such a great friend and fellow vintage "Subathusiast".

Call me sometime and tell me about the removal-installation process.

Cheers!

I also know the VW front washer/sprayer, (that goes in the hood), will work nicely on the Gen1's too. I have replace all 4 of my Gen 1's. You just have to aim them higher. I now have a nice pressure stream, instead of a drip!

I'm curious if the VW door side rubber may be just as adaptable?????? Ideas?

As these cars get older and less unique parts are available, we need to address alternate applications. I think we should develop a database of alternate applications! (Kinda like what the 360 owners have done.)

Todd

Saw your call last night but I got tired fast.Too much fun during the day with the kids.

I'll call later.

BTW,I also confused things.I have a good rear glass seal right now,it's my front windshield that'll need a new gasket.

The database is a great idea.I've heard that some guy has a Vintage Subaru website......:brow:

The front windshield rubber for 77-81 BRAT 76-79 wagons and sedans, (except GF) is available at www.prp.com

They only had about 30 remaining, They are VERY high quality and new. The factory SUBARU ones, (when they were available), had been on the shelves for 20 years!

I HIGHLY suggest gen 1 owners get one while they can!!! (And don't linger in this.) Leaks will cause rust. AND you might never be able to find one again!

Todd

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Ok...it's official! The replacement for the rear window/hatch rubber weatherstrip is the one that fits the VW superbeetle rear glass! I installed tonight in my 78 DL. It was a perfect fit! The "Cal-look" is wider and works better I think. No need for the "reveal" molding then.

My original was pretty dry and brittle.

You can get these strips for next to nothing and they are plentiful, as VW has everything aftermarket AND from the Mexico factory.

I am so pleased that there is now a replacement, as many of these Subis have leaking or bad seals. So pass the word to those Gen 1 wagon owners!

Here's one place they are available.

http://www.westcoastmetric.com/

Todd

if was told right my 86' hach has the same size gass right and should work right?