Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the ongoing story or the murph a 87 gl10 and rol his crazy new care taker

ferp420

my friend asked me to post up some updates on the murph

we pick him up drug him home on the trailer and stashed it for a bit then busted it out with some new axles then made a test run of around 500 miles to tahoe and back for some fun in the snow but i got him in my shop now the spare motor was litteraly drop on the door step of equalibrium tuneing i did say rol was crazy dident i for a complete ground up rebuild we droped it at 6 am on there front door lol they had to move it to open the door and then split and he dident say anything to them about it just droped it and split they looked at the cammera and called a few days latter lol there used to it with him though they built 3 cars for him already so they ant trippin any more the 3" lift kit goes in today he got the 5lug addaptors off of ebay they cost more than the car did but its sitting on 17" forseter rims righ now but cant drive it the fronts are hitting we put the original hood back on im gona try and replace the hood scoop on the extra hood its already rusting here in the coastal air and repaint all ive had the chance to drive it a bit its a fun little rig im realy getting a kick out of driving a mostly stock ea82 and having the turbo just kicks it my wacked out n/a ea82 still outpulls it though even with 30" tires im still kicken murphys butt not for long though ill bet there will be a $10k ea82t sitting in murphs engine bay by this time next year yes its crazy but hay thats what rol wants hes got the duel range in waiting the new struts are on there way and is gona get a new exhaust here when theres time and i bet hes already looking for a bigger turbo and a lsd this is his fun run beater roo he has 5 other roos he has 3 he drives the outback xt a lego gt and a 2015 wrx his probly has a 100k raped up in those 3 cars his wife drives the crosstreck and his daughter drives the old lego gt so murphys the beater and will probly get driven more miles than the rest put together lol ill update from time to time as the work continues

• 2 weeks later...

"ummmm what ??" thats what they sead when they got to work that day followed by awho left this piece of turd here lol equalibrium tunning is a subaru speed shop they build all or rolands subi motors they tune everything on the dino in house there gona make that old motor a monster even they told him to do the ej2.0t swap but he just sead build it so its being built its a good car and is already doing its job its been to tahoe 3 times now and still hummin along hauling lumber and tools the bigger tires realy woke it up almost like it was tripping on itself before and the handleing has greatly improved hes stoked on it heres murphy on his last trip up the hill at the cabin 20151107_080602_zpsomdwifo0.jpg

so i got to play with the murph for a bit yesterday took the 17" wheels off for some 15" lego gt wheels and installed the procomp ingnition box it runs so much smoother now no more surging or stumbeling just smooth even pulls i cleaned what looks like paper pulp out of the coolant resivore i had to reem the hose and tank out they where packed solid so now the radiator will stay full

heres a pic with my wagon little blue

20151117_161123_zpsyhrxdeh6.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I Finaly got time to work on murphy i had to strip the wireing harnes down and redo it and clean all the conectors redo all the vacume lines and reinstall all the factory parts and hid what i dident fix went through the ignition system and replaved both cats and the o2 sensor and it passed smog and now has tags next step is to change the vacume actuator on the trans so the diff lock works.and reinstall the procomp ignition after that we will see what fate has in store for the old murph im glad my buddie dident give up on this one as its back on the road

He has a lego doner car some.one smoked the wireng harness and computer but it.doses run realy good unless its idleing and it will.trough random codes and run like crap i istalled the motor about 3 years ago for his doughter she drove it everywere untill the neighbor desided he dident like her car idleing and did something and the harness fried the dealer got.it running like it is but the car wasent worth the dealer redoing the entire car the motor did come from the dealer he paid 300 for it rebuilt by one of there mechanics  in the dealers shop it has around 30k on it now and it purs like a sowing machine at any rpm over 2k so with a new wiring harness and a new computer it would make a great doner

But the murph is running so good right now i dont want to touch it but its not my car so my opinion only matters so much murphs extra motor is still in the speed shop i think its on the shelf in the lobby the customers seem to like it after all it is a piece of subaru history

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...