Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 GL sedan EA81 loses power. Please help!

Hi guys, this might be long so please bare with me. I bought a 1984 GL sedan this year with currently 138,000 miles. I just got back from a 700 mile road trip up to Vermont and have some issues. The car was fine until I reached hills. Going up full throttle it started to choke and choke out like it wasn't getting fuel. I filled it up next gas station and it seemed to be better. The car drove fine for the 150 miles I put on it in Vermont but on the way home it happened again. This time I had to be full throttle or completely off the gas otherwise it would choke out and buck like crazy. Put it in neutral while it's happening and it doesn't skip a beat. I pull off again for gas put $15 in it and it drove fine for almost the rest of the trip. It drives fine around the city but again get it on the highway and floor it, it will do it again. I changed all the fuel filters a few months ago along with the fuel pump and had the tank cleaned. I did that because the car was sitting for 15 years not because I had these symptoms. Restarting the car actually seemed to help. Please help because I really enjoy taking this car on trips but I'm nervous to take it on any more until I get this taken care of.

Your not super far from me if you want another set of eyes to take a look shoot me a message.   But I'm going to agree with what was said above.  Sounds like something is plugged up.  The best thing i ever did with these old EA81s was get rid of the hitachi and put a weber on.  Its not so much for the power increase.  You will see a tiny bit of increase but nothing to write home about.  It was more about the drive-ablity.  It started easier in the cold and idled smoother and smoother acceleration.  Oh and gas mileage actually went up for me.  I went from 27 with the hitachi to 30mpg with the weber.  That was with a lot of tuning however.  

Edited by hatchsub

I still have my left testicle, and would almost wager it again on the idea that the fuel line from tank strainer to fuel pump, or fuel pump to firewall has some crud in it. First step would be add a fuel cleaner to do some prep work for you, then once you dismantle all tubings and filters off supply line and blow clear, replace all fuel filters, inspect of pierce tank strainer - things should be better...just need some local test hills rather than drive to Vermont ! Not lose right one to any gambling either :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity, what was the temp when this happened? I had one the every time it got to about freezing it started choking out and I fought with it for 2 years until I figured out that the carb was icing at that temp. Check and see if your carb heat tube is installed and the vacuum switch is working correctly.

Mine had exactly the same symptoms as yours but as soon as I fixed that it went away.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, what was the temp when this happened? I had one the every time it got to about freezing it started choking out and I fought with it for 2 years until I figured out that the carb was icing at that temp. Check and see if your carb heat tube is installed and the vacuum switch is working correctly.

Mine had exactly the same symptoms as yours but as soon as I fixed that it went away.

He is having this problem now and its not cold enough yet to start icing carbs.  I have had that issue once with the old hitachi however. 

Well I bit the bullet and bought the Weber for $320. Also bought new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor while I'm at it. I should be getting the parts next week and let you all know how the install went. Here's a picture of her in Vermont.

You won't regret it.  Just take your time tuning it and make sure the floats are set correctly.  Mine were off right out of the box.  Its pretty easy to adjust however.  

hatchsub, on 22 Nov 2015 - 05:49, said:

hatchsub, on 22 Nov 2015 - 05:49, said:

He is having this problem now and its not cold enough yet to start icing carbs.  I have had that issue once with the old hitachi however. 

Outside temps do not have to be low to get carb icing.

In fact,carb icing becomes LESS likely as outside temps drop below freezing.

You may find ihis interesting.I did.

https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/g/files/net351/f/_assets/main/pilots/download/carburettor_icing_chart.pdf

The chart only applies to AVGAS.

Carb icing will occour at even higher temps w/automobile gas because of its greater volatility.

Edited by naru

Thanks for all the help guys! I finally got around to the Weber install today and everything went together pretty smooth but I'm still having the same issue. It was about 55 today so I really don't think the carb is icing. Rockauto.com sent me the wrong cap, wires, and rotor so hopefully I'll be getting the correct ones soon. The car runs smooth but when I first apply the gas even in neutral it hesitates for a second and then it goes. I'm so confused because again all my fuel filters are new and I have a new fuel pump in it too. Thanks again for all your help.

Edited by JFN1989
  • Like 1

I had this problem intermittently drove me nuts . Till one day it was doing it and I removed the spare tire and it went away the dam gas line was getting pinched sometimes. It had a Weber installed before I got it. Reruated the line no more problems