Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear disc brake conversion 88 GL 4wd wagon

jdclick

It's been a while since I did this, but you need the backing plate, disc hub/rotor, caliper/bracket, brake pads, and the brake line.

both soft brake line off the caliper and the hard one to the junction. I seem to remember not having the hardline so I cut the one already there and put a new flarenut on it.

Just a note on the brake hose. A few years ago I needed a new rear brake hose RIGHT NOW for my GL, I can't remember why, maybe I couldn't get the flare nut out or something. Anyway, no parts store had them in stock and they wanted a zillion dollars. I figured since subaru and nissan use a lot of the same parts I'd do a bit of internetting and looking at pictures on rockauto... Turns out a 1982 200sx rear brake hose works perfectly in the caliper.

It's sometimes called the inner or upper hose, or whatever other random name it gets. Doesn't make much sense to me since I don't know how the brakes on those work, but it has a male threaded fitting on one end that goes into the caliper and a female threaded fitting on the other end for the flarenut from the hard line. IIRC it's a bit longer than the subaru hose, but if you're cutting the hardline anyway, who cares. Just make it the right length. It's also more like $10 at napa not a zillion dollars.

EDIT: it's also possible my brain is on backwards, and I had to do this for the hose that comes from the car to the control arm because the brake line rusted out and I had to jam a nail in the fitting to block that one off to get it home. Either way, if you need cheaper easier to find brake hoses, look at a parts catalog at nissan parts.

Edited by 987687

Rockauto sells loaded calipers, so you get a caliper, pads, and the mounting bracket. Or if you have those just get a caliper, whatever you need. You can also get the rotors on rockauto. I dunno where you can get the hubs and backing plates.

You might also be able to get the parts at a parts store, although you're gonna end up spending a good chunk. Online is usually cheaper.