Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tuesday Night Math Problem

Purchased a Loyale with nice 2.2 ej conversion and was converted from a 3AT to 5 speed D/R. Very Nice car but i drive Subarus for the 4WD. The previous owner had studded snows on it in Seattle. He only put it in 4WD on steep snow driveway and complained about having trouble getting it OUT of 4WD. When I purchased the car I barely get the car to move on grass or dirt without jamming the High/Low out in reverse and car on pavement wouldn't even move. On snow, it was down right dangerous and felt like it was "pushing" the steering or no traction in front to steering. 

Rear Diff said 3.9 and tags were off of the tranny. I put the Loyale on racks and mesured 7.8 turns of driveshaft to 2 rotations of wheels. (3.9?) MUST be the tranny I thought.

When I put the car in 4WD and rotated the driveshaft, the front wheels turned at a slower rate than the rear wheels. 

So ...I put in a different 5 speed D/R 3.9 and Wammy ...It drives perfectly with no fighting front to rear, ?

The Math Part. ...  

Did I have a 3.7 D/R or if my math is right I had to have a 4.1 ?

Is it possible to have a 4.1     5 speed D/R that looks just like a 3.9?

What a mystery .. but solved. 

Any thoughts?

They did use different ratios in some years / models. I have 1 3AT that has a different ratio than all the others I have. It is from an 86 4wd GL wagon. My others are 88, 90, 92, 93, 89. From comparing the charts in the fsms, all of the gear ratios in the gears are the same, just the final reduction and difffentials are different. I never looked at the various standard transmissions ratios.