Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stuck 84 GL

Hello y'all,

I went on a road trip in my 84 GL and after getting home my fan blower would not turn off. It blew all night and I could not get it to turn off. I took out every fuse in the fuse box by the hood release pulley and they all were fine and none of them controlled the fan. This is where my problem starts:

I took off the grounding wire to the fan and that turned it off but now my car won't hold a charge. I will jump it off and I can drive it but after that if I leave it for a few hours it is completely dead again. 

After this revelation I took the fan out completely ( I still have one). I figured I live in the West and it is starting to get super cold so overheating won't be a big issue. But even after taking out the fan the battery still completely drains if left for awhile but will drive fine as long as the car is running. 

Does anyone know where the fuse box holding the engine fan would be? Does anyone have any idea what is happening?! 

Do you have 2 cooling fans (a/c car), and if so which fan is staying on? 

The engine cooling fan fuse should be in the box, #5 maybe. Sounds like the fan has been rewired by a previous owner, its a common problem circuit. Stock the fan (+) should be controlled by the ignition switch and the (-) controlled by the temp switch in the radiator.

Could this event have finished off an already weak battery?

Another possibility is that you have a bad ignition switch that is not turning off, combined with a bad thermo switch (or a wiring mod) for the fan. In that event the radio among other things would stay on as well. 

If you drive in stop and go traffic you need to get the fan back up and running. Dont idle for long periods of time till you do.

Out of the two fans at the front of the motor just pasted the radiator the one on the right hand side (standing at the hood) stays on. I'm thinking it might be a rewiring because this car seems backyard mechanized. I find more and more out as I clean or repair stuff. 

The ignition switch does not work... I have to put the key in and turn it to the electronics setting (the one before the ignition) and then the previous owner installed a push start switch. Looks like a primer on a lawn mower. I am trying to find the right ignition with the wires so I can fix it but it is proving difficult... It is an 84 GL EA81

The radio and all other internal and external electronics turn off but just not the fan. Another reason I suspect it to be modded is that it is a different shape and color of the neighboring fan. 

Umm, so Im gunna say its the driver side fan that wont shut off? That sorta sucks because you have an A/C car and the system for that fan is much more complex. Makes sense tho, since the fuse for that fan is under the hood near the strut tower on the passenger side (on some cars). It is not controlled by the Ign switch, that explains the battery drain. Any of these relays could have hung up and there is three of them involved with operation of the aux fan. One of them also operates the compressor clutch, they should be located on the passenger side strut tower in a row. Two 4 pin, and a 6 pin relay. For testing, Ide remove their harnesses and see if your drain issue stops. If so you can systematically test later. Do you have FUNCTIONING A/C?

2012_0516AP.jpg

Note: that this system varies a bit from year to year, and to further muddy, it could be an after market system. Add that too some wiring "mods" this might get real fun.