Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hoping someone can help with this.

Just did a like for like engine swap. 2008 Impreza, 2.5i SOHC, Manual transmission. I have verified that the injectors are clean, cam and crank sensors are working perfectly, checked injectors with a noid light and they are getting pulse signals just like they should, all timing components have been replaced including water pump and I have made sure the timing is set correctly. I have also seen that I'm getting an rpm signal on a live data scanner. When I crank the motor, it gets up to about 130 rpm but won't fire on it's own. The spark plugs are all gapped correctly and are getting spark, although its a yellow color less than a blue. 

No matter what I do, the engine will not start on it's own. I've tried both styles of crank and cam gears and have the same result from both. Someone please help me with this, I need this car to run. Thanks in advance.

maybe spritz some carb cleaner in the intake while cranking to see if it fires. Check fuel pressure?

does exhaust smell like fuel? if you pull a plug and it's wet, put it back and try cranking with the gas pedal on the floor - that is the clear flood routine for the ECU to shut off fuel.

you timed the crank pulley using the dash on the tab at the back? NOT the triangle/arrow on the front right?

Yep. Definitely used the dash mark and not the arrow. I've tried spraying starter fluid in the intake and cranking with the gas to the floor. Nothing is working. We are going to redo a compression test today to see if the valves are good.

If it is possible that the connections to the CAM and CRANK sensors could be swapped around then check for that. There was someone here that happened too. If that is okay then I would have think you have either  a valve or ignition timing issue causing the trouble. If the compression is okay then it seems the ignition timing needs to be checked

Also look at the drivers side ( left ) cam sprocket AND Crank pulley.. Especially the REAR. If the doner was a JDM motor or from elsewhere, they may have used different timing triggers along with a different ECU.

Be certain they are the same.

If not correct, YES you will have spark, but at the wrong time, or incorrect sequence.