Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I accidentally have a JDM long block?

Hi all,

Hoping if someone with experience could help me with identification. Up to this point, it's me, my limited knowledge, and pictures from eBay.

I recently purchased a 1999 Legacy Outback Limited as a parts car, engine donor. running and driving for $300 out of someone's front yard. I pulled the engine and replaced head gaskets, upper engine seals and timing components as usual. I noticed a few differences between this engine, and the two others I have experience with, a 97 EJ25D and a 98 EJ25D. Up until late reassembly, I just thought, "oh it's just a weird '99 thing," assuming they updated the EJ25 along with the phase I/phase II split in the EJ22 of the same year. I can't find any source saying significant changes were made for 99 only. Instead, it seems to match that of a JDM long block with USDM manifolds and waste spark. I've listed some strange qualities about it below, let me know what you think.

-"4 CAM 24 VALVE" embossed on valve covers

- wire clip bracket on timing belt cover (for front mounted/uel cats?)

-threaded holes near spark plug holes, as if for coil-over-plugs

-flat top pistons with machined provisions for valves, as opposed to the dished pistons I've seen in the other two engines

-different style water pump with a forward facing thermostat and aluminum thermostat housing. Had the Fuji Heavy Industries logo embossed on both the pump and housing.

The water pump is what made me wonder, as another (long-dead) thread stated that the JDM engines used the turbo style water pump, whatever that may be. The car sat for two years so the coolant was basically mud, and the pump would have been trash if I were to run it anyways. Unfortunately because of that, I threw it away before I noticed the difference. I got a Gates component kit, (third one I've installed, never had an issue with fitment before,) and the housing bolts on differently so it would either be facing straight forward or back, as opposed to out the side like I need it to. Also, the Gates pump has a curve and a raised provision for the thermostat, making the center timing cover not fit properly. If I were to just use the center timing cover from my known USDM engine, would the pump still be compatible?

Thanks for any help!

Edited by pginter96

The water pump has the front mount thermostat because the JDM engine originally had an equal length exhaust manifold on it. It came out in from of the engine before heading back.

The heads could be the hydraulic lifter type like the USDM had in 1996 only. I have a coupe of these engines, I should tear one down eventually

Also, regarding the pistons, I believe the JDM engine also had a slightly higher compression ratio. Probably due to the higher octane fuel they run over there but that's all speculation.

The water pump has the front mount thermostat because the JDM engine originally had an equal length exhaust manifold on it. It came out in from of the engine before heading back.

The heads could be the hydraulic lifter type like the USDM had in 1996 only. I have a coupe of these engines, I should tear one down eventually

Also, regarding the pistons, I believe the JDM engine also had a slightly higher compression ratio. Probably due to the higher octane fuel they run over there but that's all speculation.

Thanks for the info. I just added some pics of the pistons, makes sense.

It does have the bucket lifters, I wondered about that too.

People buy JDM engines as replacements for dead 25D motors all the time. Low mileage and decent cost compared to junkyard stuff here. 

It does say ej25 on the block right? 

Trim the timing cover to fit around the water pump. If it gets pushed outward it will drag on the crankshaft pulley and possibly the AC tensioner pulley.