Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Installing Weber 32/36 backwards

Many of us have done or are interested in upgrading our factory carbs to the Weber 32/36.  But there is a challenge in fitting the electric choke version to our EA82 motors with the P/S reservoir right up front. Some have claimed they were able to dent in the back of this reservoir with out any ill effects.  However I found a few comments made over the years stating that the electric choke wanted to intrude on the P/S more than a ball peen hammer can address. I am among this group. After installing the Weber/Redline adapter plates I found that the front of the electric choke wanted to be so far forward it would almost be touching the reservoir mounting bolts.  There was no way I could bash in that much of the reservoir without causing big troubles.

So I decided to install the Weber backwards. This of course caused a problem with routing the throttle cable. Once I found the best path the factory cable was not long enough to reach.  So I made one.

The parts I used were

Brake cable from a road bicycle (think Tour de France) These have a similar ball end that you need.

Universal motorcycle throttle cable kit (5' housing and assortment of fittings)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O1C2L7S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Old factory Subaru throttle cable

post-59940-0-08252900-1449785035_thumb.jpg

Here you can see the different parts to make the throttle work.

After cutting the universal throttle housing to length I re-crimped the Subaru factory adjuster to it. You can also see that I am using the Weber linkage instead of swapping the Subaru cam.  I was unable to get the secondary to open with the Subaru cam link so I tried the Weber and it worked on the lowest hole.

post-59940-0-08298800-1449785524_thumb.jpg

You can see that the ball on the bicycle brake cable is smaller but it is still large enough to work

post-59940-0-34288200-1449785690_thumb.jpg

This is the grommet that captures the ball end of the cable to the gas pedal

post-59940-0-09573600-1449785757_thumb.jpg

The factory hole in the Weber cable location bracket was to high and was causing binding, so I drilled a new one to keep it level with the throttle linkage.

post-59940-0-33304300-1449785864_thumb.jpg

The universal housing slid snuggly into the grommet in the firewall.

post-59940-0-60272500-1449786138_thumb.jpg

I routed the cable low past the distributor and under the intake manifold.

post-59940-0-43565100-1449786188_thumb.jpg

I continued it under the Alternator out the front and under the lip of the P/S reservoir.  There is plenty of clearance from the belts and pulleys no worries.

post-59940-0-53569800-1449786329_thumb.jpg

post-59940-0-42279600-1449786362_thumb.jpg

I really don't like the small air filter that comes with the Weber. I don't see these things doing a very good job on dry dusty dirt roads.  So I went down to the junk yard and pulled the air filter box off a similar year EFI engine.  The air box bolts right into the carb engine bay. I am tracking down the parts to make this work with the Weber. The benefits will be better filtration and it will be easy to find replacement filters when needed. I will update this post with pictures when it's complete.

I am using an aluminum air intake adapter on the air box. The hole in the EFI air box and the adapter are both 3" in diameter.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HG7D56G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I also advanced the timing to 12 deg while doing this conversion.  I might advance the timing a little further.

Edited by nrwphoto

Nice bit of work around.

Only issue I see is the short radius of the 180* bend of the cable under the alt.

Thinking the inner cable will wear thru the lining fairly soon.

Longer radius would have been better.

Did the same with spinning the Weber 180*. Used original throttle cable by flipping the Hitachi cable cam inverted on the throttle shaft and spacing the original cable attachment/adjustment bracket out by 1-1/2" or so after moving it over to the opposite side of the engine.

It mounted using longer bolt in one of the hole for the pitch-stopper bracket.

I can't do pics or links. But if you want, I can send you the file I have on my Weber swap. Just need you to PM me an email addy.

Only issue I see is the short radius of the 180* bend of the cable under the alt.

Thinking the inner cable will wear thru the lining fairly soon.

Longer radius would have been better...

The curve isn't as bad as it looks, since it curves up toward the carb from under the Alt at the same time. The cable slides smoothly through the curve and I've had tighter curves on motorcycles before.

• Like 1

I really respect the other's way of thinking...

Different%20Ways%20of%20Thinking.jpg

But Dear Fellows... Haven't you Read my Writeup?  :confused: 

I solved Completely this issue, by using another Adaptor Plate only.

Here you can see the Photos: ~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/71510-ideas-on-swaping-a-weber-carb-on-ea82%C2%B4s/?do=findComment&comment=1027077

As easy as Plug and Play, not a single modification is Needed.

Also, if you wanted to use the Weber turned 180º (Backwards)

You can hook the accelerator's cable plate 180º (Upside down)

In order to use the Factory cable, but Pulling from below...

Edit: I added a Link to this thread on my Writeup, because good information is worth to be shared.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
  • Like 2

But Dear Fellows... Haven't you Read my Writeup?  :confused: 

You can hook the accelerator's cable plate 180º (Upside down)

In order to use the Factory cable, but Pulling from below....

Yes I have read your write ups and they do have a lot of useful information in them.  However they do not address every issue all of us have had as you continue to claim they do. If I installed the "accelerator's cable plate (upside down)" it would with the intake manifold greatly reducing it's travel and leaving the travel limited to just off of idle.  I did look at that option.

Without a substantially taller adapter plate my choke would have hit the reservoir. For whatever reason it seems more so on my particular car than the clearance issues I have seen in photos.  As I stated I have read similar complaints from a hand full of other owners, date stamped from various years.  For those of us who have not lifted and do not wish to lift our cars a taller adapter would give even less clearance for air filter choices.  The more air filtration the better when you live in a dusty climate.

I am simply posting my solution to a problem many Subaru owners have had. Never claimed to have the best answer to everyones problems.  I have often found the best solutions come from a collective of ideas that are combined to solve a problem.  This post is just one more piece in a collective of information on this board.