Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strut Help

I just lifted my Brat 3 inch Boss Kit. I have a super heavy duty bumper and added weight not to mention I'm installing a winch on it phase 2. The stock struts were not strong enough. 2.7 turbo had a nice write up on Tempo springs so I found some and cut them to fit. Great set up but a bit stiff, and height of strut is topped out so I have a Positive Camber issue now. 

So, I found a thread on Coil Overs and am building now. The first thread uses a coil over kit and an adjustable pillow top (aluminum) It fits the EA81 shock pretty weird.

HERE is my question...  My friend gave me a spent EA82 strut. It has adjustable screws (lower perch) just like the EA81 and fits perfectly to what I need to finish. I know it is a EA82 based on the top of the piston is different where it mounts the the pillow top, and is a bit longer. My friend thinks that it's off an early Loyale 85-86 or GL. 

Does anyone know of adjustable EA82 strut shocks? I want the adjustable type because I don't need the "removable" lower perch plate. The EA82 replacement shocks have a permanent perch. I could cut it off.

I found some that will work but they are Sachs 031-168 and $100 bucks a pop. Too rich for my blood.

TX

... 2.7 turbo had a nice write up on Tempo springs ...

Thank you for your kind words; the Ford Tempo coil springs were intended for the EA82 platform, not for the EA81, I bet that the Brat is lighter than the Loyale; however, if you obtained brand new coil springs, those are too stiff for the application, even for the EA82; I got a pair of used ones and never had to cut an inch from them, but in a EA82.

Thank you for sharing your experience with them on the EA81, Kind Regards.

JesZek  and DaveT... thanks for you contribution to the Forum...  I did get a pair of 85 Tempo Non Progressive (cant believe I found them).  We tried them stock and way too stiff. We ended up cutting them to Original length and getting them on EA81 struts.. That was fun. They work darn well and will be perfect when I put a 70 lb winch on it.  I just got my Pugs mounted with new 27" Generals and don't want to ruin them, so I need to address \ / camber. I bought a SP camber bolt kit for the inner control arms but not much room and before I tackle the drilling and welding on that, I was trying the Coil over route. I am going to look into Subaru struts as DaveT has suggested. The problem is the Coil over Sleeves fit right over the shock body, and most after market (Gabriel/Monroe/etc) shocks for EA82 have a wide cap over the seal area where the piston enters. I might just order a cheap EA82 with welded perch and just cut the lower Spring perch away mostly. $19.00. Once this is done, I need to mount the adj. pillow ball plate to my 3 inch lift spacer. I need to use a cutting torch to cut an access hole in the top so I can adjust the top of the strut in and out. Hopefully the Springs that came with the Coil Over Kit will be stiff enough. Most pictures I've seen of Non-Converted EJ knuckled Brats have a measure Positive Camber. I'm going fix that issue once and for all... at least for my little monster.  I'll post the entire Coil Over thread once I get it done with pictures. 

Parking%20Brake.jpg

SPOILED%20%20BRAT.jpg

Edited by machthree2
  • Like 1