Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 impreza leaking oil and powersteering.....plz help

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum, also new to the Subaru owner ship. I recently bought a 1995 Subaru impreza 2.2L, automatic with Ej22 engine, and 4dr. I got it really cheap and it was running fine and smooth. Recently it started leaking oil and it's dripping on the down pipe I think, and also power steering is leaking. But the thing is I don't know where the leak is coming from. If any of you ever had this problem please help me out narrowing it down so I know what to fix, and buy. I tried putting all info I could think of, and sorry if this had been asked before. Thank you for reading and hope I can get some help and guidance thank you.

Oil leak. Could be anything, others may have common oil leaks on these 2.2's.

As for the power steering. At least on the last two 2.2's I've owned (97' impreza wagon, and my current, 96' impreza sedan) both leak a little power steering from the bottom of the power steering reservoir... I think they both had hairline cracks from one of the nipples but it wasn't bad enough to tell. Also, both of mine were leaking a fair bit of power steering fluid right from the rack. 

There's no "this is what oil leaks are on 2.2L's" either you have to crawl under the car and take pictures (and the post them here) or take it to a shop. It is very hard to diagnoses a leak without seeing the car.

Whatever you end up doing, good luck! I love(d) my impreza's. The 2.2 is such an reliable engine if properly maintained, 300k+.

As these motors get up there in miles they commonly develop leaks. Usually these are slow and not gushers. If it's dripping onto the exhaust, it's often the oil separator plate. This has a dealer upgrade made from stainless steel to replace the plastic one which leaks. As mentioned, crawl around with a flashlight and see where it's coming from.

Check your fluid levels. (Oil in particular is essential.) If you are not losing oil rapidly, the easy solution is to simply top off oil in between changes. If your fluid levels stay topped off, you can run with leaks indefinitely. My 97 Impreza did the same when I had it. Leaked from the separator plate and dripped right onto the y pipe. Smoked a little from under the hood and would smell when sitting at a stop light. That leak combined with a few other minor ones would lose about 1/2 quart over an oil change cycle. Worked out fine as I'd just add some oil every 1000 miles. I'd do an oil change. Buy 5 quarts. Fill with 4.5 and keep the last half to top off.

You ask what to buy. I would say the inexpensive and plentiful "power steering reservoir reseal kit".

Catch pan made from cutting a milk jug or soda bottle helps. Remove the lines and drain it. Dismount. You'll do fine and no leaks. Do check for slight cracks while you have it exposed. Try not to stress the fittings when removing the lines.

Kit has copper washers too. Have a bench or surface and break it down , very simple. Worth the effort and $19.

Oil leaks - as mentioned. Don't know your level but if you have or rent/borrow and engine crane you'll probably do just fine buying the seals and metal upgrade cover and going at it.

Rear main seal just a few bucks. You'll be confident of the back side at that point. You can always easily reseal the front.

• 4 weeks later...