Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 LOYALE LEAKING 5L OF OIL A WEEK.

I HAVE A 92 LOYALE, EARLIER THIS SUMMER MY ALTRINATOR WAS ON IT'S WAY OUT, THERE WASN'T ENOUGH POWER TO POWER THE INJECTORS I BELIEVE SO I COULD ONLY DRIVE AROUND REALLY SLOW ANY TIME I GAVE IT GAS IT WOULD LURCH, WELL AFTER DRIVING ABOUT 50KM THAT DAY WHEN I STOPPED DRIVING I NOTICED THE CAR WAS SMOKING LOTS! WELL NOW OIL LEAK OUT OF EVERY WHERE, LIKE IT BUILT UP PRESSURE AND BLEW SEALS, OR IS STILL BEING PRESSURIZED SOME WHERE. PERHAPS PVC VALVE? ALSO I DEVELOPED A EXTERNAL HEAD GASKET LEAK WHICH MAKES ME WONDER IF THERE WASN'T ENOUGH POWER AT THE TIME TO POWER THE FAN.

IF ANY ONE HAS ADVICE, OR SIMILAR STORIES PLEASE SHARE THEM, I PLAN TO PULL THE ENGINE AND DO THE WORK, BUT I WANT TO THROW OUT THE MESSAGE FIRST. I LOVE THE CAR, BUT IT'S BEEN A HEAD ACHE TO BE HONEST.

• 3 weeks later...

My experience with all the oiling issues are don't worry obout the lifter tick every one of us will raise our hands..:) but now onto the main leaks that I had..

Valve covers espasially the cam carriers where they bolt onto the block there is a channel that will need what sub mechanics call SUBAGOO i clean the channel steel.wool rubbing alcochol use just the goo in it no gasket just goo.. it is specifically made for the subaru.. works great I had to go to the dealer. Kinda expensive but you won't have to deal with it ever again... just don't forget to put little .. Oring.. back in..aaahyeeeeee!

Cam seals leak somtimes.. Crank seal leaks I gouge my seal pocket taking mine out and tried JB WELD and sand paper to fix it.. it's a slow leak so be careful everything is aluminum..

Oil pump leaked once might be again as I racked up 100,000 miles since or oil pan gasket can't really tell because it could be the crank seal which is higher than the oil pump..

And lastly... unfortunately for me I didn't do my own clutch but meanwhile you say you are pulling the motor ... good for you...:) there is a mysterious leak in the rear of the motor... it is from what they call the Separator Plate . It is white and brittle if your engine is still stock.. you will need to replace that with a Metal one. Keep us up dated. I also did my head gaskets I got mine from the dealer...here's a link to that episode I did :)http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/155547-my-compression-test-resultsea82/

Edited by Len Dawg