Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 loyale front end locking up

Have a 91 loyale automatic push button 4wd and when I drive it for a very short distance you can feel something in the front end grabbing and then all at once it's like you hit a brick wall when the front end locks up and the only way you can move is in reverse so could someone please diagnose what is wrong..I have found a new trans and front diff so if that's the problem I have the parts to fix it but don't want to replace all that if it's not the problem..thank you and I am also new to the forum and to the Subaru world so keep it simple if you could thank you

I have seen many times a broken front diff. ring gear! This is what I recommend you do,remove the front differential drain plug.Get a clean drain pan & save oil and pieces. Next look at the drain plug for large parts " teeth ", you can look at the ring gear through the drain hole opening. You could rebuild the front diff. or replace it just watch your final ratio

#1 make sure all your tires are the same size
#2 You aren't driving on pavement, right? The drive-train can bind, especially while turning, and resist.

You should only be using the 4wd in low traction situations, like in snow, or mud, or loose dirt. Using it on pavement will break things.

Alright I'll have to try that but like I said I already have a front diff so if that's the problem I can just replace that...the tires are the same size and I was on in mud when this all happened except I got the car from my father in law and it happened to him going down the black top..and also is there anything I should know about this car like different little bugs I should look out for

that's a 3AT transmssion, those things are substantially different than most Subaru automatic transmissions - be nice to hear from someone that knows the 3AT's on this.

no noises at all?

front diff gear oil looks like what?

if it is the front diff - remove front axles (may only have to remove one) and lock the 4WD and you'll have a free repair and RWD Subaru.  

disassemble the front axles so you can leave the stub shafts in the knuckle/wheel bearings.

the front diff is integrated into the transmission - most people just swap the entire trans if the front diff has issues.  few people replace/repair a front diff on Subarus. 

If you run a 3AT in 4wd on dry ground, you will feel drag. Do it long enough, wear something out. Probably the clutch Pack that enables drive power to the rear.

I once had one that was run with no gear lube in the front diff too long. The pinion bearings failed, allowing the pinion to move forward and hit the diff carrier when engine braking was allowed to happen. That made for some horrible jerkyness and horrible sounds. Got it home by never allowing the engine to slow the car. The seals failed by then, and the last of the atf go t i to the diff. just as I pulled it into my garage.

Does it drive fine in fwd? The chances of an internal failure are pretty slim, that's why I think your problem lies either in misuse, or something else. How are the u-joints in your driveshaft? Are the rear axles bad? The only reason the car would come to a stop is due to a binding, this is proven be reversing remedying the situation. Reversing unwinds the binding you created while moving forward. My money is on the transmission being fine, but still check the fluid levels to make sure it stays that way.

Alright thank you guys but I haven't got a chance to look into it yet because I have been working like crazy but have 2 weeks off for Christmas but I got ahold of the shop that has the transmission and mind you the place is called the sube shop and all they work on is subarus but anyways he told me to check the emergency brake because it could be locking the front tires up..so tomorrow I'm going to check that out what do u guys think have u ever heard of that..I hope that's it that will be a lot cheaper

The original description does not sound like brakes.  I've forgotten to release the parking brake once or twice in my life.  The brakes don't get grabby when they get hot, they smell bad, and become less effective.

I'll add, I set the parking brake every time I am parking the car.

Edited by DaveT

• 2 weeks later...