Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2014 XV oil level

Is it normal for the oil level of a crosstreck to read very low after it has been running? Checked it in the morning on level ground and it was at the full hole, but after running the engine and letting it sit for a few minutes there's barely a drop on the dip stick  :confused:

It's not a loyale, so I'm lost here.

It may be at a low level. After sitting overnight, oil can run out of the galleys and into the pan increasing measured level. Once started, the galleys are filled and the measured level is down. Call your dealer and ask if they would check it for free since it is so new.

I have found on my Loyale that the difference between barely wetting the stick and full is a very small amount of oil.

I also seem to recall there is a small oil consumption with the Crosstreks. 

http://www.torquenews.com/1084/update-subaru-oil-consumption-class-action-lawsuit

Edited by MR_Loyale

The thing is, she just had the oil changed at an indy shop that I .... uhhh let's just say have serious beef with. It says they used 5 quarts of synthetic 0w20, but I wanted to check to make sure they didn't have their head up their rump roast. I was kinda surprised when I saw NO oil, but let it sit overnight and it was fine. So confused there. 

• 1 month later...

I found measuring the oil level on the XV EXTREMELY difficult. Any change of angle at all , no matter how slight, will give a different reading. The oil stick doesn't ( stick oil). I ended up sandpapering ( crosshatch pattern) it to actually get a reading. And considering the area it sits over the heat expansion seems a bit exaggerated. All of these are just pecularities of the engine. What we need is a solid reliable technique for getting an accurate and repeatable measurement.

• 2 years later...

Worth mentioning here, my 2014 Crosstrek with 32k miles on her, seems to consume a little bit of oil.  I don't see any leaks or puddles on the ground, the car runs perfectly and is not noticeably burning oil, but I have to top up the oil every other month.  If I do not add oil, the oil light comes on, only at highway speed of around 70mph. The light goes off when my speed drops down.   If I ignore it and don't add oil, eventually I get a CEL and the cruise control will not work until I add oil and the oil light and CEL go off.

Edited by unibrook