Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WIN "How To Keep Your Subaru Alive" Manual By Coming Up With Best Hack ! Contest !

I always use the screwdriver method, use a skinny flat blade screwdriver stuck through the hole in the picture. It works for flexplates, too. Just stick it through the cutout area for the TQ bolt access.

9ZvrmAu.png

without going outside, does that work on ea series engines?

• 2 weeks later...

... a lot of good entries so far. no clear cut winner yet in my opinion.

I kindly suggest you to start a public Poll here and let us Vote.  :) 

I started one some time ago, regarding my Wheel Choices,

here is it as an example: ~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/151383-low-budget-15-wheels-what-do-you-think-of-these/

There are good ideas in this thread.

Kind Regards.

Not a Subaru, but this repair can be used on anything with CV axles. I bought a Mercedes sight unseen 1000 miles away and picked it up with some friends. Along with a verity of issues, it had a torn axle boot. I packed the axle with grease then cleaned the outside of the torn boot and cup really well. I used several feet of duct tape wrapped around the axle boot with some zip ties to hold it in place. That repair held for 3000 miles until I finally replaced the axle.

Friend blew out a strut tower driving down logging roads in northern Maine. I had a chainsaw and some ratchet straps... He drove about 50 miles out of the logging roads and another 200 miles home like that.

IMG_0510_zpsb83347be.jpg

I'll have to think about all the rest of the redneck stuff I've done to get cars home...

At a rallyx once a friend got a rock in his rim and it actually bend the mounting tab on the knuckle where the caliper bracket bolts. The caliper bracket was hitting the rotor so I took about a foot of stainless bailing wire and wrapped it around the bolt making it into a washer. That spaced the bracket out far enough it stopped hitting the rotor. He drove like that for weeks..

hmm that tie-down strap looks awfully familiar.  I think its a requirement to acquire a few over the years.  

• Like 1

I used the starter from my 4mt dr on m y 5mt dr. used ea81 head washers as shim. they work perfectly.

also converted dash top ashtray to miniguage cluster on the 78 brat. turn the three gauge mount upside down and tack it on to the ashtray metal frame. same size!! then cover with your choice of sheet metal.

I also welded a nut on the back of the trans mission shift shaft driver. i replaced so many pins and the hole always gets worn out. now i just tighten a 12mm bolt with a lock nut that pushes against the shaft. it has not had any play since.

the brat can run in low range when not in 4wd by unattaching the linkage and using a cable set up to shift from low to high (towing on pavement purpose) 

rear defrost is totally gone on the wagon. never waste a switch.......rear cargo light installed using exhisting wiring

Here's my hack to add a Cyclops Light to your EA82 Subaru.

cyclopse002_zps5d16d071.jpg

Get yourself some el'cheapo Walmart lights the size of the front grill emblem.   

cyclopse003_zps3b931fab.jpg

Cut out the grill emblem, and stuff the light in the hole.  (diamond plate, and wire stone guards optional)

cyclopse001_zpsed43f1f4.jpg

Adjust the aim, and off you go.    The Gen 3 Cyclopes option that Subaru did not offer, (but it should have) .....Hack on!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i like Dave T fuel pump hack., grossgary's hacks, bertman had a good one and rust had a pretty good one.

have to decide . they are all pretty good and inventive. some will save you money and some will get you home in an emergency. have to decide which one would be relevant to the most subie owners.

• 1 year later...

One morning with one heck of a hangover. My best friend and I decided we wanted breakfast. On the way there the throttle cable broke. We used mechanics wire for a cable. Pulled it through the firewall. Hooked it up to what was left to the old cable under the hood. I riding shotgun would pull the wire while he shifted gears.