beamsbox

Clicking sound under body, ignition on...?

1986 GL 1.8L 2 Door Hatchback - EA21

Car starts fine.

When I turn the ignition switch to the 'Acc' position (Maybe 'on' it's dark out.) I'm hearing a steady clicking sound. I don't notice it when the engine is running, but the sound of the engine could mask it. I traced it for a bit and it seems to be coming from just behind center towards the rear of the vehicle, centered somewhere near the drive-line or so.

Just curious as to what this could be, I'm assuming it's not supposed to be there, as the engine isn't even running (not to mention it's a clicking sound). I'm not even sure of anything electrical in that area. Are there relays under the rear seats somewhere?

Thanks for any help, prior.

Edited by beamsbox

I am not familiar with old gen but on a new gen if it had an automatic transmission and it sounded more like a buzzing or rapid clicking (i..e around 50Hz) I would say that is a solenoid in the trans.

I don't know much about transmissions, had no idea they contained solenoids... I do know that it's def. not automatic, if that makes a difference. I'd say about 50 hz sounds about right.

Also, this morning I was able to verify that the sound is def. happening while the engine is running...

Fuel pump is inside the tank, I presume...?

Thanks all.

Def is the pump, found it today. So, that is a normal sound? To test the condition, just do a flow test, I guess?

Don't need to do a flow test. If it runs, it's working. lol Carbs take almost no pressure and not a lot of volume.

• Like 2