Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greetings all, 

Im replacing my DOHC 2.5 engine for an SOHC 2.0 JDM... Is anyone familiar with that type of swap?? Do you know what kind of issues i would be encountering?? So far i was so lucky as to take out my old DOHC engine. Realized i couldn't use my intake manifold (duh). So I'm curious as to know anyones pros and cons to my upcoming project.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks @adventuresubaru. I've been with that car everyday and still no luck with it starting, not to mention we got hit with some snow so theres no progress until these streets are clear. I have a 2002 Forrester intake on it. Also cut and Sauder some wires to make a connection for the spark plugs, due to the engine being a JDM 2002. New starter is installed, engine is timed, oil and fuel are present. I'm scratching my head and wondering if I now have to diagnose with my voltmeter. Hmm a question to anyone who may know. Does the 1998 Impreza 2.5 rs m/t come with a factory alarm and with a key that has a chip???

Edited by SubieNewbie98

It's likely your cam and crank pulleys.Get a set from a USDM motor. Driver side cam pulley and the crank sprocket. The hash marks on the back are different in the japanese motors (At least one the 2000+ ones I've worked on anyway) so even though timing is correct, the engine computer is reading it as off.

The '98 RS is a Phase 1 engine and wiring. Since the '02 Forester IM bolted up, the JDM  is Phase 2, as well. The engine harness - all the wires on the intake manifold, etc, the IAC, throttle body, and more are not easily compatible w/the '98.

The ECU harness is likely different so unless you plan on tracing the wires from the ECU to each engine component, you may not get it to fire.

Supposedly there are a few online that have made this setup work, but you're lucky if you do....devil's advocate, i may be, but mix-and-match wiring is no fun.

Time to get online and read up on more compatible swaps, but the easiest - 99% plug and play - are the ''96-'99 DOHC EJ25D engines & '95-'98 EJ22 ( you'll need an exhaust mani for the '96-'98 single-ports).

And I don't think Subaru had factory chip keys 'til about '05...but it could have the factory alarm....did you drive this car b4 the swap started?

Gl,

TD 

Edited by wtdash

Didn't catch that it's an 02. Yeah, phase 2 motor in a phase 1 platform. Pain in the rear. It's been done, but you'll be cutting and splicing and scratching your head.

Best bet is to sell that motor to someone installing it on a phase 2 car (2000-2004 almost anything) and find yourself a good 95-98 EJ22