Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 GL 5sp sporadically won't move

Hi again friends.  I recently had my clutch changed and immediately after, I had an issue where I would put the car in 1st or reverse, try to release the clutch and it couldn't move, making the engine bog down as if the emergency brake was on or the gears were somehow bound up.  However, once I press and release the clutch, the car would take off as usual.  Now it continues to bind up occasionally like that (maybe once per day) but an extra press and release of the clutch frees things up.  It feels like maybe 4wd becomes partially engaged (just enough to bind - if that's even possible); however I don't understand why it would start immediately after the clutch was changed and why a press of the clutch would release it.  Does anyone know what the problem is?  Thanks in advance.

JW

86 gl 1.8 5sp dual range 4wd

Edited by 1cor6.nine-11

I had someone else do the job so I don't know about how well they inspected the bearing, Rust.  Super, that's a good idea but I think the hill holder feature came along later on the forester (my wagon looks just like your thumbnail pic - same color). 

Edited by 1cor6.nine-11

The Hill-Holder was on all early models of Subaru's with manual trans and 4WD.

If you adjust the clutch, you need to adjust the H-H cable also.

Former Member "Skip" said he adjusted the H-H cable on his so a dime would fit between the H-H return spring coils.

Don't have my manuals handy, or I would post what is written in them on the procedure.