Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi

Since my current vehicle has 160,000 miles and is in need of about $2,000 of repairs, I am in the market for a certified vehicle. I have never owned a Subaru but I have always heard good things. A Subaru would certainly fit my criteria of 1. Reliability/dependability, 2. Longevity 3. Low maintenance costs and 4. AWD. One issue I have with Subaru is the fact that none of their vehicles (except the WRX and the Crosstrek) really stand out and in terms of appearance, they are rahter bland. I'm not worried so much about that as I am that I won't be satisfied with the performance of the 2.5i 4 cylinder motor. I don't think a 170 HP is going to be enough to satisfy me. For example, my wife drives a 2011 Honda CRV with a 2.5i that makes 180 HP and in my opinion, that thing can't get out of it's own way.

I drive approximately 22,000 miles per year and I have a budget of under $24,000. As a disclaimer, I haven't driven any of these vehicles yet but I do plan on doing this over the next week or so. Having never owned a Subaru before I am relying on you to provide me with your opinions. I have found these vehicles listed locally:

2012 Outback 3.6R with 42,000 miles ($22,311)

2014 Legacy 3.6R with 27,000 miles ($23,566)

2015 Legacy 2.5i with 15,000 miles ($23,995)

2015 Forester 2.5i with 5,000 miles ($23,800)

Can you give me some feedback on these years/models? Any opinions you have in terms of Subaru as a brand or on individual models would be great as well.

Thanks!

As we approach the new CAFE standards, it looks like the larger engines are going to be phased out.  For that reason, almost all manufacturers have stopped developing the larger engines.  The 6 cylinder engines still have timing belts where the 4 cylinders have timing chains and variable valve timing.  The 6 cylinder engines will probably be replaced by 4 cylinder engines with turbo chargers.

If you are not happy with the power to weight ratio of that CRV, there are not many cars that will make you happy as that is pretty much standard across the board.  If you absolutely have to be the first in line at the next red light, I would suggest a Nissan Sentra Spec V, a Civic si or a WRX sti.  They will help you transfer more of your money into the gas station faster than most other options available.

^If referring to the 4 and 6's used in Subarus  -The FB series 2.0/2.5 and EZ3.6 are both chain driven camshafts. - Hondas I'm not too familiar with.

Hi

1st comment: $2K repairs is a HG job on an older Subaru, after which it'll be 'mostly' good for another 100K, so if your 160K mile car is not rusted out or otherwise not road-worthy, why not fix it? Since you drive  a lot per year, I'd drive it 'til it rusts out....of course reliability vs being stranded/not walking/taxi,/rentals may factor in.

2nd comment: I'm always looking for another car....bad habit...from your list above the 3.6R models will have the power you crave and should both have some warranty left. You can buy a NEW 2.5i version for those used prices - depending on options....but again, you'll be power-less. 

3rd comment: I can't recommend anything else @ the moment...I would've recommended a 2006-2012 Rav4 w/the V6 - decent MPG and 0-60 6.9 seconds....but I'm losing faith that ours will make it much past it's 100K mark, which is about up.

TD

My vote is the 6.  Unless you are die hard about MPG's, I would rather have the option to pull a small load.  My 4 cylinder leaves me a little wanting when its loaded with my friends, ski gear, and pulling a mountain.  Passing uphill with these conditions have to be planned hours in advance.... Plus in some cases a larger motor actually gives you better MPG's.  For example, I had a 6 cylinder Impala that under steady high way driving would get about 2 MPG's less then my old man's 8 cylinder of the same model and year.  The 8 just works less to maintain highway speed, and makes the HP necessary to keep that speed easier.  Of course, having the extra cylinders does mean you can put more fuel into the engine if you stay deep in the pedal.  Its a delicate balance that is orchestrated by your driving habits.

nicely said. i have been in the market for a turbo forester automatic. a bit pricey, but that would be my next purchase indeed. there are legacy turbos also and they are often priced less than the wrx or sti. and like panhead states...its all in your driving habits.

my daughter fills up her wrx once for 2 weeks.

when i drive it............never mind.

I stick with subarus for the simple fact that they are easy to work on, all wheel drive and the fact that i now can not live without the rumble of a boxer engine!!

Fuel economy is only a small part considering there's not much difference between 4 and 6 at  reasonable highway running trips 

however  the 6 eats the fuel more  in urban / short running.

But at $2 gallon the US has some of the cheapest fuel globally and if it were me and if I was only paying $2 / gallon  go straight for the 6 (wouldn't consider the 4) 

Here in NZ fuel is $7 / gallon ($2 / litre)  and i have a 3.0R.

Edited by subnz

Hi...I just got a 2012 outback 3.6R last July. It is loaded and I absolutly love it. I have had 3 other subbies, 99 Forester, 01 Forester, 02 outback all with the 2.5.

The 02 finally packed it in last july with 285,00 km's and I wanted to get something newer and with more power. The 3.6 has exceeded all expectations and I would definately urge you to consider it.

With the low miles, the 6 will be nice.  I was in the market for a 6 for quite a while, but I talked to a local trusted Subaru mechanic and he steered me away.  His reasoning was the increased difficulty with maintenance.  I believe he suggested that it's almost easier to just remove the engine from the 6 and do a lot of extra maintenance when it's out, as opposed to the 2.5 which is relatively easier to work on as needed with the engine in the car.  So if you plan on maintaining it yourself, you might want to think about that.  If you don't work on your own car then maybe the 6 will work for you long term.  I decided I would rather go with the 2.5 and see what I can do with customization since I am the only person that is allowed to work on my cars.

His reasoning was the increased difficulty with maintenance.  I believe he suggested that it's almost easier to just remove the engine from the 6.

That's odd.  By 150,000 miles they need the same exact routine items - plugs (and wires for the H4's), valve cover gaskets, oil cooler gaskets.

Plugs and VCG's are a little bit more cumbersome on the H6 - but hardly noteworthy for someone with mechanical abilities/experience.  

Few people buy a car because it takes 2 hours less mainteance over 150,000 miles. 

If the newer vehicles use the same type spark plugs as the older 00-04 H6's - those things are awesome and easily last 100,000+ miles.  Though they recommend 60,000 now, they used to say 100,000 and they look in great condition even at 100k.  Plan isely and you can make 150,000 with one major maintenance interval - do the plugs, VCG's, oil cooler gasket, and accessory belt job at the same time around 100k.  Not counting fluids/air filter of course.