Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weird ignition switch issue. 84 Gl

Hey all! Happy new year.

Recently the ignition switch in my 84 Gl started acting really funky. When the key is turned to the off position, the car thinks its on and will even run in this position. One click past off, the starter will engage. This is very annoying, as to turn the car off now i have to put it in accessory and disconnect the battery. Any suggestions? 

Thanks all!

Edited by kirzick

I would shoot some silicone spray in the switch, possibly cut a new key. Look at Rock Auto .com  for replacement.  I bought mine there. I think.  Been years. 

Don't do silicone spray, WD40 would be the better option. According to Subaru silicone spray will degrade (or something like that) under voltage and cause crappy connections.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/41143-silicone-containing-sprays-lead-electrical-contact-problems.html

Edited by comatosellama

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the replys everyone. I pulled the plastic off the bottom of the steering column. The pink plug for the ignition switch had melted internally, causing some of the connectors to touch. I pryed them apart and that solved everything.

I drove the car to work the other day, which is a 25 minute drive. I felt the pink plug after driving for about 20 minutes and it was very hot. It wasn't hot to the point that the plastic was melting,but probably close. What would cause this?

Thanks all.

Edited by kirzick

The contacts on one or more of the circuits in the plug or socket lost the spring tension, and got slightly corroded which makes resistance. Current flowing makes heat, accelerating corrosion. Makes more heat, more corrosion. Also looses more tension from heat. Replace the bad pins and sockets.