Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm in the same boat, looking for tires for both my cars. My 95 still has plenty of tread left on 3 year old BFG Advantage T/As, but they hydroplane horribly, and they've started to wear oddly which has created a pull to the right, and some road noise.

I've seen good reviews about the General Altimax RT43, and the tread design looks good enough for snow, and looks good for rain. (Good for an all season design)

The only downside I can see with those is I think they will probably tend to feel a little squirmy when new that should go away as they age, but will start to make some road noise as the tread wears, but they should retain good wet grip characteristics.

Others that I've looked at, Michelin Defender, Yokohama Avid, and the Kumho Solus, all look to be very quiet designs, should be ok in the rain, at least until you get about 30-40k miles on them, and they'll have good directional stability. (Won't wander or feel squirmy)

You'll lose some grip in the snow because of the tight spacing of the tread blocks. From past experience with Kumhos, I would expect those to wear oddly, and need frequent re-balancing.

Dunlop actually has a good lineup of tires under their "SP/Sport" name. I had a set of those on my old 95 wagon and they were very good in rain, decent in snow, and very quiet. I didn't keep that car long enough to need a new set of tires, but I put around 20k on those tires and they still had plenty of good tread left.

• Like 1

It can be helpful to Google the tire brand and model you may have an interest in, and read customer reviews. It is helpful to some degree, but I always wonder if the manufacturer, or dealer post bogus reviews. No way of knowing, but if a lot of reviews, you can get a pretty good idea of what a lot of people think about a particular tire's performance.

On wife's 98 OBW, I bought Ohtsu 7000 all season tires, that the tire store recommended for a good performance tire at a low price. Ohtsu is part of the Falken and Sumitomo tire company. I have been pleasantly surprised how well they have held up, have worn minimally for 10K miles, and are very good in the snow. I would buy them again.

• Like 1

I seem to remember the older Pirelli P6s being pretty good. They seemed to wear quicker than other brands, but were pretty quiet and had good rain traction. Never drove a set in the snow but I would think them to be about average for an all-season tire. 

Run-flats do ride noticeably rougher, so if a smooth ride is important you should avoid them. 

michellin's are awesme. they're hte one big company who has excellent performance on nearly every tire they make.  the other average companies all make great tires - but they make some lesser ones too or have some detractions.  almost anyone can just buy michellin's the rest of your life and you'll be happy and only pay a few bucks more per tire.  i highly recommend them unless you're really into penny pinching.

corporately they're well respected and have excellent focus/vision on research/testing/hiring capacity....so it's no surprise their products are what they are either.  i like supporting a company that's good to employees and has excellent focus that's more than just $$$$. win win all the way around. 

i received no compensation for my reviews. LOL

the general altimax are decently priced and perform well, i've bought a few sets.  they loose signifcant snow traction after year 1...it's like they degrade snow traction 20% every season.  first year they're great, second they're okay, by the third they're not suitable for my snow packed roads at all.  i have a brand new set on one car now and another couple year old set on another subaru - striking difference and same tire.  i run dedicated snow tires though so i don't care.