Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Knocking from right front end. Tranny, CV, ?

1995 Impreza Front wheel drive only. 1.8  5 speed.

I recently replaced the right front CV axle. I ended up replacing the entire knuckle, because the  original axle shaft would not come out of the knuckle! NO WAY. Multiple machine shops with presses could not even do it!!! Never the less, I just got a replacement knuckle, had professionally pressed in bearings. (Not Chinese bearings) and a rebuilt CV axle. All went together just fine.

NOW, I have a new problem/noise! I get this rhythmic   light "knocking" from what appears to be the either the wheel area, or the tranny area. It happens mostly when cold. Happens more when firmly turning to the right with gentle acceleration. With no power applied, there is NO noise. When turning to the left, no noise either It's not the outer CV typical clicking. That is ruled out.

Could this be IN the tranny? I did get a little rough at times trying to get that original axle out of the knuckle, but I was not that rough I hope! Could this be in the differential? Could something have broken with the process of axle removal? The transmission shifts and drives fin and there are no other noises.

Could it be a bad rebuild on this inner CV?

I've done lots of axles and this one is the first time I created a NEW issue!!

Thoughts anyone? 

mmmmm sounds like rebuilt CV not good and because it happens when you're turning right it suggests the  outer one .

Inner CVs tend to make a noise on the the over run (ie trailing throttle)  when travelling straight or if really bad clonk continuously going straight.

Edited by subnz
  • Like 1

what MPG do you get in that?

noise while accelerating during turning is usually the inner axle joint - but that's usually on really bad joints that were left exposed/without grease for a significant amount of time, so that might be why previous poster seems to differ in that.  i have one right now like that in my driveway. 

you can alleviate inner joint noises by swapping left and right front axle parts since the loading dynamics are different depending if they're installed on the left or right.  for that matter - wouldnt' just changing the sides accomplish that or something simpler?

but after your first axle removal debacle i doubt you'll want to touch that thing unless you have too, those are crazy when they're that bad to remove.  was that car ever in the NE?

noise after a front end job is often a brake dust shield or something rubbing that got tweaked during the job - but sounds like you've largely ruled that out with your good description/diagnosis so far. 

Edited by grossgary
  • Like 2

Jack it up and check every thing for looseness sloppiness.

It sounds like the inner CV joint is where your issue is, but its hard to tell just from a description.

Grab onto the CV with the front wheels off the ground and see if you can feel any play from the CV Axel, check both ends.

Try spinning your tire and see if it makes any noise.

• Like 1

Check your trans mounts. These can move around causing just the noise you describe. If its weak, they're like $38 + shipping on rockauto. Theyre pretty easy to change. Just support the trans with a jack, and unbolt.

To answer the ? About mpg he likely gets 32-35 mpg depending on how he drives it. I had a ej18 5spd awd 'preza wagon that ran 30mpg like clockwork with over 275,000mi on it

noise while accelerating during turning is usually the inner axle joint - but that's usually on really bad joints that were left exposed/without grease for a significant amount of time, so that might be why previous poster seems to differ in that.  i have one right now like that in my driveway. 

you can alleviate inner joint noises by swapping left and right front axle parts since the loading dynamics are different depending if they're installed on the left or right.  for that matter - wouldnt' just changing the sides accomplish that or something simpler?

but after your first axle removal debacle i doubt you'll want to touch that thing unless you have too, those are crazy when they're that bad to remove.  was that car ever in the NE?

noise after a front end job is often a brake dust shield or something rubbing that got tweaked during the job - but sounds like you've largely ruled that out with your good description/diagnosis so far. 

Yes, that axle was an absolute BITC-H!  LOL... I stripped everything off the assembly and it landed in the "recycle bin" at the curb. No the car is a Texas car and was never in a winter. I going to go over this again with a fine tooth comb.

• Like 1

Yes, this was the last of the FWD only models. The 1.8 is just as good as the 2.2 also. (same EJ engine). I get about 32 on the highway and about 28-30 in mixed driving. If I am 'gentle' I can break 35mpg on the highway. 2WD is so much lighter.  It's only barely broken in at 75K.

Yes, this was the last of the FWD only models. The 1.8 is just as good as the 2.2 also. (same EJ engine). I get about 32 on the highway and about 28-30 in mixed driving. If I am 'gentle' I can break 35mpg on the highway. 2WD is so much lighter.  It's only barely broken in at 75K.

i'm an EJ18 fan, i swapped one in one of my old legacy's and put 230,000 miles on it, a friend is driving it now. 

the knocking is central i guess - no suspicion of being "left" or "right"?   have someone stand on each side of the car while you (or they) drive by?   see which side is louder?

It clearly right side and it's rhythmic when throttle is applied. (bump. bump, bump, bump...speed related)  Increases a lot when turning right, with throttle applied. Fades when in straight line, fades more when turning left and more noticeable when car is cold. Let off the gas...all goes away. I'm wondering if it's in the differential!

confirm there are no lug nut/stud issue or dragging brakes or loose axle nuts. , 

swap axles side to side. (inspect axles when off the car.)

if problem moves with axle - well, there's your problem. (fingers crossed because, easier fix than front diff)

do not final-torque the axles with the car's weight on the ground - stick a big screwdriver in a disk vane and 'buck up' against the caliper.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

• 1 year later...

I'm having a similar issue , mine started out as a faint click, thought it may have been cvs going , put new axles in and now it sounds like I have rocks tumbling in the tranny on acceleration,no noise coasting or reverse. I don't think the new axle shafts are the problem,I have axle stub shaft play on drivers side and the passenger side is nice and tight.

Edited by Firemanjim