Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I bought the car a month ago and drove it until last week when it stopped starting. When it was running it idled real strange when stopped, kept bouncing around but wouldn't stall. Also when it shifted to second it seemed to lag some power. Than it overheated once but cooled down and never overheated again. Next day the check engine light popped on and it got about 10 miles a gallon. So now it will crank but wont turn over. I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter and spark plugs. I am not that mechanically inclined and also can't afford to get it to a shop right now. Really hoping someone could offer some incite on what to do next. Thank you

2.2 or 2.5?

When was the timing belt and Idler gears and water pump done last.

I'd start by pulling the two t-belt end covers and see if the cams line up correctly.  If not its a timing issue.

You can bend valves so turning by hand is a great idea.

• Like 1

You mentioned the check engine light came on, what is the code or codes? Was the light flashing or just on steady?

Make sure all the little hoses are connected under the intake snorkus thing. There's one going to each valve cover and one bigger one going to the idle air control valve. That's something easy to check and those do pop off when doing other work sometimes and will cause idling and other issues.

As already mentioned checking the timing marks is probably a good idea even though the previous owner has paperwork saying it was done in the past. It can still have jumped timing, etc., you don't know for sure that whoever did the work did it right or an idler could be failing or the tensioner bad etc.