Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Searched for something on this with no luck so, I'm asking. I have a 90 Legacy wagon with 4 wheel disc. I'm trying to decide whether I need new rotors and can't get the left front off. Haven't tried the right yet. Is there any reason this thing shouldn't just slide off once the caliper support bracket is removed? I', about to go try pulling the left rear but it's pretty clear it needs a new rotor.

if they're really rusty pounding wont' get them off - well the rotor will start to splinter and shatter and crack into pieces but i highly doubt that's good for your suspension/wheel bearings!

i've had the screw holes strip trying to push them off. 

i've had the rotors shatter from pounding with a sledge.

i've had pullers break the rotor edges where the pullers arms attach or break the pullers. 

granted that's rare and only one out of hundreds are that bad.

you're in texas i doubt you'll see one that bad. 

original rotors need two set screws removed.  they will never in a billion years come off an old Subaru in the rust belt without an impact screwdriver.  need an impact driver or drill them ot. 

original rotors have two set screws.  they are often gone and not reused or aftermarket rotors don't have the holes to include them. 

since yours came off with force it didn't have the set screws.

rotors don't need replaced unless you have a vibration while breaking.  i have 250,000 miles on my rear outback rotors - and that's normal.

even if they're rusty the wearing surface will wear right through the rust down to good metal in no time.  not a big deal.  maybe your pads will last 38,000 miles instead of 40,000.  no big deal.

• Like 1