Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have tried finding a forum that already has my answer but I have not had any luck, here is my story-

Bought a 96 Outback Legacy few years back, very next day an engine rod popped and I got the engine replaced. A year later I crashed it and totaled the body but the engine was untouched. Now I have some money I am looking at buying a 99 Outback Legacy that has a knocking engine. I am looking to do an engine swap with my engine.

I have about a 7th grade level when it comes to knowledge of cars so of course I am not doing this myself, but am looking for some advice. Whether these engines are even compatible, both are 2.5L H4 DOHC 16V or if this is even a good idea or worth the money. The person I am buying the car from is unaware if the car is a single or dual CAM, again any advice would be awesome! Lets bring my Subaru back from the grave!

My VIN-4S3BG6854T7980786

The car I am buying VIN-4S3BG6850W7617339

If the 99 is DOHC then yes, your engine will swap. You're info is a little confusing - you said "both are 2.5L H4 DOHC" but that the seller isn't sure which motor it is. There was a SOHC 2.5 offered in 1999 that is not compatible.

Confirm that it's DOHC - post up a pic of the front of the motor on the 99 if you aren't sure. But most outbacks from 1999 are DOHC and thus your motor would swap in as a direct bolt in.

swapping a motor for one of these cars is pretty simple. Even a first timer can do it in a day. I've done a few now in my driveway using a cherry picker made of 2x4s and a $20. come-along. If you're wanting to save some $$$ and learn some more about your car, now is a great time.

Even if not, these 90s outbacks when they have rod knocks/blown headgaskets are favorites to buy cheap and swap a good motor in (Usually a 2.2 for more durability but if you have a good 2.5 already, then swap away. It's a cheap way to get a nice outback.

I got the VIN from the owner and looked up the info of the motor that way. That's the only way I have any info on the 99, I am going to look at it today or tomorrow, if I can have the owner send me a pic beforehand I will post it.

That is great news if the info is correct. I appreciate your help.

attachicon.gifSUBU2.JPG here is the 99 engine

Buy the car then correctly reconnect the 2 blue spark plugs wires (on driver's side of engine) and run it a bit and see if the engine starts running better ;) You might not need to swap your engine. It looks like they reversed the wires and attached the end that should fit on the plugs, onto the coil instead. Usually right angle plug boots are meant to be on the plug tips as they are often longer and will clear the tight bend.

Edited by Bushwick