Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My RX v2

rpholz

Data log shows a peek of 19.4@3800rpm with a a/F of 9.9 lol, looks like I had it fat enough.

Boost control is gm I'm pretty sure, it was bolted to the front of a Borg Warner efr I installed that the customer didn't want. And no, Idk if I have it hooked up right or not. I'll likely do straight wastegate for now.

Sidenote it started hitting boost by 1800rpm

• Like 1

Got the boost under control

Needs more fans, it's staying at 200-207℉ after ripping a pull and sitting in the parking lot. Comes down immediately once moving

Also needs way more timing, 17psi is slow as spoob.

Edited by rpholz

Getting the car sorted out.

Seems to run out of steam around 4k rpms so I bought a faster charging coil and we will see how that goes

Also did a compression check 155-165 on a mildly warm engine. With all these 20psi untuned pulls I'm not sure how the failure rate is so high?

Edited by rpholz

What are you running for front suspension I just ran into issues last night trying to put SVX stuts with impreza top hats on. I want to be able to adjust everything like you can. Also 130 hp with 6 pounds of boost that sounds nice. Cant wait to see what happened when you turn the boost up. Also what are your plans for a fan I might get a 2.0 turbo rad and try to fit that instead. 

Front suspension is 08 wrx JIC coil over with 02-07 camber/caster plates, 04 wrx hub, spindle, ball joint, outer tie rod. My custom control arm, manual ea82 rack/inner tie rod. You'll have to enlarge the holes for the tophat to fit

Fans are stock electric plus a 12" mishimoto that you can see in one of the pics. It has two m6 bolts in the top and a bent piece of aluminum snugging it against the rad on the bottom

130 is crap. The motor can do more but it's the choppyness that I'm working through. My boss/friend/shop owner/tuner says it looks like its loosing spark, hence the coil pack. I haven't had the chance to redyno since the change but I will say it went almost a full point leaner with no other changes. Need to wire a oil pressure sender so that if it pitches the drivers belt the haltech will stop the engine.

The wrx rad won't fit BTW. Your better off to try a brz rad which I think Nico used. I'd buy a koyo and use the expansion tank to fill the engine as a rad cap is not needed. The coolant port off to the pass side would need to be added..

It's hard to describe this via internetz as I don't know your level of knowledge

I really like what you have done with this and waiting to see what you get out of this. There is guy that lives fairly close to me that supposedly builds these up to put out 200hp. I haven't met him but have met his buddy with 87 gl turbo. I'll look through my phone and on here to try to get some info for you.

• Like 1

Yea I can make anything fit with my plasma cutter I was just using a turbo rad as an example cause that matches the engine thats going in.

But yes I will look into those.I already made the impreza top hat fit. I just have to get a camber plate that is similar to what you said.

I am using 2002 WRX Hubs.

2002 WRX Ball joints

EA82 powered rack with matching inner tie rods.

2002 Impreza outer tie rods,

2004 2 pot forester calipers and rotors.

Impreza top hats but trying to pick a strut because my spring compressor wasn't intense enough to compress SVX springs lol

I extended the mount about 1 inch outward for the XT6 control arm to fit into it still doing some final adjustments. This was harder than i thought,

I used the washer method and a whole lot of fat welds.

Back to your post. My stock motor is 115hp on 10 pounds of boost. 

So you are doing well is what I meant. I still believe with all the work you have done

you can crack 200 hp. I am just worried about reliability. Have you thought about meth 

injection for safety and keeping things cool. Who is doing your tuning and I am sure 

you could get more horsepower out of it with the help of that.

Also did you ever O rind the deck or anything like that?

Your engine is running pretty hott also what is the CFM for the fans you are running

I really enjoy this freaking build man. I love when people work with what they 

have. 

"I extended the mount about 1 inch outward for the XT6 control arm to fit into it still" 

do you have a pic? i can't picture what your describing

what strut/ knuckle are you using?

i am currently fulling around with the tuning untill it runs smoothly. i really want my boss to step in, do some magic and 20 mins later it be making power(cause that's typically how it goes, stage 2 wrx? 3 pulls, done. runs perfect) but i need there to be zero issues before hand, so im working all the kinks out.

cfm? no idea, it was laying around and cheap. better than no fan.

o-ring? LOL! nooooope, WJM put this motor together many moons ago and obviously i can't ask him, if i had to guess, carbed block, new gen 3 heads, way overtorqued to the point that its about to rip the threads out. annnnnnnnnd thats it. only thing ive done is put new plugs in. 

the temp isnt really concerning me. its either really hot oil, shitty thermostat or too much coolant and not enough water. hell i dont even know what the water pump looks like. i really dont care to be honest, its pittly stuff to work through and not a major concern. coolant comes right back down to 180s after a pull. heres a graph to show you what its doing.

U0LqlsJ.png

eventually itll either work or ill get fed up and drop a 257 crank in this phase 2 ej22 i have laying around, slap a vf52 to the back of it and let it eat.

I've really learned to not get bent out of shape with these cars, I realize what i'm doing is not supported by most and im ok with that, i wont loose sleep over a broken ea82 

LET IT EAT! haha yes I say that all the time lol and yea exactly I am leaving my ea82 its current disregarded, poorly maintained state until it breaks. Once t does I am swapping everything hard and letting my ej205 eat haha I will post a picture tomorrow. Also yea tuning is always everything you are doing a better job than I would. i still have a lot to learn in that aspect. Also yea as long as she doesn't overheat let her eat its that simple.

took a couple hours after work to fool with the oil stuff.

need to wire in the sensor but that'll take 30mins, ran into an issue with oil filter, using a ford sandwich plate and the subaru filter did not seal at all, the ford one was too big finally found a random filter kicking around the shop that worked perfect.

AZaUxDX.jpg

bFmFAwo.jpg

hJQLenh.jpg

My god... you've been busy! I will start watching for more info! I am praying that EA82 doesn't break... because I have high hopes... I remember the idea when you first brought it up... so fingers crossed you can make it do things everyone says can't be done LOL

• Like 1

Would you just look at it! Just look at it! Again I applaud your marvelous efforts!  :clap: Massive amounts of work.

Also i got some pictures of how I added my XT6 control arms to the existing subframe. 

IMAG1190.jpg

Welded washers and used a massive bolt to mock everything up

IMAG1190.jpg

Going to box in for strength and get some triangulation going on for some more comfort.

We also finally have the same wheels mine are gold =)

IMAG1208.jpg

That was before I added some more flares in. I really love the builds one day when mine is dead realiable we

can meet up and see how each one feels with such different builds. That is  on 2007  STI struts for the front.

I want to add an oil cooler like yours I heard they do nothing but good for these turbo Subaru engines!

Cant wait to see what your car can put down for power. 

The car hasn't fallen off the face of the earth but there is A LOT going on in my life right now. So nothing new except it drifts around the building pretty well.

D3F0, I wish you luck with that, there are alot of forces on that area and I'm not sure how you'd brace it up well enough to justify that cut, usually a hammer nets the same gain

It is a weak point to begin with, with my plan it will be stronger than stock.

I study mechanical engineering I might just cad out some proof one day haha

I want to eventually build a complete subframe from scratch using the geometry i prefer.

Just have to buy the pipe benders and other big boy tools to do it.

oh%20baby.jpg

This for example I know how to make a work of art like this and its my goal make subframes like this in the future from 

scratch.

I cant wait to see your final tune seriously.

Edited by D3F0