Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My RX v2

rpholz

So, put it back on the dyno, running good. 12psi netted like 150-160hp theeeeeeen it started to break up. Took some timing out, fattened it up still not running right, also running hotter, put it in vehicle sim, yep, getting hot runs like spoob, said codswallop it, it's broken. Turned anti lag on, got some great fireball video, cranked the boost to the moon, drove it around back and launched it so hard it all came apart, it still runs and you can still somewhat find gears but it's done. Which is OK, I got fed up when it started to break up.

Not sure what's going back in it but it's done for now.

MEH, WJM would be proud.

• Like 2

Alright. Had a look through my storage unit. Here's the options and I really don't know what to do and am open to suggestions. This is what I have

(1) turbo ea w/fresh heads, good

(1) rx gearbox, good

(1) xt6 trans, missing front diff

(1) 97 ej22, needs rebuilt

(1) set of dual port 22 heads

(1) ej18 intake w/rails no harness

(2) wrx DBC throttle body, complete

(1) spare TWE header

(1) oe excedy RS clutch, good

Do I ej it? MOD a twe header to fit the single port and turbo it?

Put the spare ea in and see what it does?

Find a 25 bottom end and build another frankenmotor?

Eh, I just don't know.UGRumT9.jpg

Edited by rpholz

If i were you I would take the back of your extra RX trans and put that on the back of an EJ trans with either a 3.7 or 3.9 final drive  to match your diff

I recommend that so you have the locking center of the RX tranny still and use the newer Ej trans to bolt the EJ22 you already have. 

With this option there is no need to to buy an adapter plate. 

Then turbo everything and I am sure with that option it will all hold together for some launches assuming you are not doing it at redline. 

EA82 are not that much fun to mod you would have way more fun building a turbo 2.2 using the old legacy heads if you can find them

or lower compression and boost that baby.

completed launches will be 3-3500rpm with a clutch switch, not worried there.

im not going through the effort of finding ej22 turbo heads, ive looked before and either didnt like the price or the rariety.

the open center diff does me zero favors and locking it will never come in use as its a street car, not for gravel, now if i can get past the rally america novice license restrictions that may be a viable option. 

space of an ej swap is always a concern and if i do turbo the 22 it would get pistons and bearings at minimum

If i were you I would take the back of your extra RX trans and put that on the back of an EJ trans with either a 3.7 or 3.9 final drive  to match your diff

I recommend that so you have the locking center of the RX tranny still and use the newer Ej trans to bolt the EJ22 you already have.

don't do it. A ton of work, for the worst center diff Subaru ever made. Stick with the LSD.

• Like 1

Why do u say its so bad?

When unlocked (which it must be on pavement), you have nothing to force power to the rear. I can't count how many times I spun up a front tire like a Civic coming out of a turn while Autocrossing. And even with the improved castor and camber with the 5-lug swap, rallycrossing and especially ice racing where very difficult. The front tires have to be allowed to spin a little different speed than the rear for the front tires to bite on turn-in. With it unlocked, the front would bite, but you can't hold any oversteer or accelerate out of the corner, as the power all goes through one front tire. With it locked, you could hold the slide, and power out of the corner, but it took a massive flick to overcome the initial understeer.

I have seen a standard 4Kg (I think.....might be 6), phase 1, VLSD center diff dig holes with both oversized back tires, while the whole car was high-centered and the front tires were hanging in space (Austin's WaterWagon 2, hours after it earned the nickname). It seems the phase 2 center diffs are stronger than phase 1, even though they're still rated the same....might just be that they're newer. Also, Subaru offers a 20Kg phase 2 replacement for Group N racing that is drop-in, and phenomenal. Not to mention DCCD.

And adding 4.11 and 4.44 to your axle ratio options.

• Like 1

Alright fine Ill use my legacy 4.11 5 speed instead lol thanks for the advice.Do you guys usually just swap the ring gear at the back to 4.11 to mach the tranny. Is that possible with that awesome rear LSD? Or do i have to do a bunch of crap and locate another diff. Currently I  have an SVX/legacy hybrid built 4.11 and i doubt the RX axles would slide right into the SVX LSD prob different splines and length. ALSO LOVE THAT VIDEO I love it all haha 

took the turbo block, retorqued the heads. got a bit too lazy to take it off the back of the truck lol.

5j9pCUV.jpg

it's in, running. dyno it tomorrow. running a fair bit richer currently.

and for those wondering if the clutch will hold..... yea i think it will

FYU4rZ2.jpg

• 10 months later...

ALMOST A YEAR LATER.

Let's see:

New job

Bought a house

Built a friends FC Turbo II

and dismantled the rx.

As it sits it has no harness, the core support is cut out, and the engine is on a stand.

However ill be returning work. So far larger radiator, different intercooler, bigger VF52 turbo and a complete rewirering of the car(except my sweet engine harness)

Stay tuned, don't stay tuned. Eh