Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a custom built 1996 ej25 turbo that is broken. The crank pulley wobbles, knocking sound in the case. The motor is in my 1974 Westfalia conversion.

That being said, Id like to replace it with a JDM. Im open to an ej20, ej22 or ej25. Id like to essentially do a long block swap with all my existing stuff, minus the turbo if need be.

Is there a reference data base or web site of what motors and what years use the same exhaust manifolds/headers, same intake manifold bolt positions etc. etc.? Basically, do the heads have the same bolt patterns?

Please advise

Is there a reason why you won't rebuild? Unless you are willing to take a large HP/TQ hit, leave it turbo'd. A wobbling crank pulley sounds rather strange though. 

If it were me, I'd just rebuild the engine and stuff forged parts into it and maybe get the heads and valves professionally re-worked. You run a risk with overseas engines as once it ends up on your door step, if it's trashed you have little recourse.

Is there a reason why you won't rebuild? Unless you are willing to take a large HP/TQ hit, leave it turbo'd. A wobbling crank pulley sounds rather strange though. 

If it were me, I'd just rebuild the engine and stuff forged parts into it and maybe get the heads and valves professionally re-worked. You run a risk with overseas engines as once it ends up on your door step, if it's trashed you have little recourse.

Cost and time. It looks way cheaper to buy a JDM than to rebuild. under a grand for a complete engine vs around 2 grand for a rebuild.

And how hard is it to get a short block and bolt on the heads?

Cost and time. It looks way cheaper to buy a JDM than to rebuild. under a grand for a complete engine vs around 2 grand for a rebuild.

And how hard is it to get a short block and bolt on the heads?

You might be getting someone else's tired engine at that price. If you get the crank turned, new pistons + rings, block honed, etc. and just get the heads checked for warping or buy reman heads, it should be well under $2k. I don't even think a basic pushrod V8 runs that much. Don't forget that "JDM" will most definitely need a new belt, idlers, etc.

Could also get a reman engine with a warranty. They'd probably take your old engine as a core. Remans are basically new and should be trouble free. It's be a straight swap and you'd be good. I'm fairly certain Auto Zone and Advanced have reman options, so worth calling and just getting a price. I imagine the reman will have a new or respec'd dampener as I doubt you want to reuse yours if it's wobbling.

Trying to think of what would be better for you in the long run with reliability. Buying used you just never know and might be back at square one again.