Ultimate Subaru Message Board

before i condemn the transmission i wanted to post the symptoms and verify.

the 4wd fuse was in keeping it in 2wd.

i pulled it and the trans was acting like it wanted to rattle apart.

both rear control arm supports were roached so i replaced them first.

then the transmission mounts were gone too so they were replaced.

then i pulled the 4wd fuse and it ran fine for about 5 minutes.

the transmission then began to shake and give power jolts to the front right wheel almost as if the brakes were bieng applied.

i put the fuse back and it runs and shifts like an old tranny should but with a little vibration.

the rear end makes a lot of noise so i will be swapping that too.

funny how i have a wrecked 94 that ran like a dream but looked hideous and a 92 that has no cosmetic flaws but feels like bo and luke duke had a go at the drive train.

just want to hear some possible causes before i go and switch trans and diff.

The FWD fuse, when installed, puts (or is intended) to put it in front wheel drive. When the FWD fuse it out then it should engage the AWD. So if seem to be ok with the FWD fuse in then the duty c and transfer clutch are probably ok. With the FWD fuse out it sounds like it starts acting up. So then make sure the obvious things, all the tires match, i.e. there's not one that got replaced while the other three are different, or new tires on the front or rear only. If for some reason the trans was swapped but the rear diff doesn't match that would cause issues too. 

all tires are the same but does look like trans was rebuilt or swapped.

on close inspection it has been painted with silver metallic.

Most likely it was swapped out with a cleaned up and painted trans.

the torque converter looks new tho.

You may be right.

i was thinking it could also be loose differential gears on both axles along with old rear cv axles.

just having a hot mess of play in the rear end might cause it but your reply makes more sense.

how many gear setups were available in this trans?

gonna just do the swap of the trans and  rear diff.

only grey area is separating the torque converter from engine.

not much room in there

I agree you probably have mis-matched front and rear axle ratios.

On top of the transmission bellhousing, near the starter, should be a transmission number (AFAIK, always starting with a "T").

dpva7b.jpg

Which should match the number on the build plate on the strut tower:

Either way, you can usually google the number, and find exactly what it's for, and what the gear ratios are.

I don't remember if your car should have a tag on the rear diff saying the ratio on it. There might not be a good way to tell for sure without pulling the rear cover (and, since it's mounted by the rear cover, means you basically have to remove it from the car).

'90-'94 Legacies came with 3.90 and 4.111 (IIRC, one is for Manual transmission, and the other for Auto, but I'm not sure off the top of my head). But rear diffs are pretty much cross-compatible as long as they've been making AWD/4WD cars, in 3.545, 3.70, 3.90, 4.111, and 4.444. Most of those in cars which could have been a donor car for your trans.

Edited by Numbchux

• 2 weeks later...

yeah i saw it.. just had to get back in the rythm after fighting my timing issues.

thanks for the info. im sure its a donor trans put in by someone who did not know about different gear ratios.

kinda sucks because the trans is actually in great shape when in 2wd.

complete with shiny blue new t/c installed.

gonna be time to get back to work this weekend.

it was too cold last couple of months to poke around outside............yes it gets cold in vegas......at least for this Arizona-raised guy.

i dont know how some of you do it in your sub freezing climates....power to ya!!