Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hesitation with EGR Vacuum Hooked up to Weber

Just installed a Weber 32/36 DEGV this weekend. I wasn't sure what to do with the vacuum port on the EGR, so I left it alone. Drove 300 miles home just fine and super smooth. Got in touch with Weber and they said to remove the screw-type plug from the front left port on the Weber, so I did. Hooked a vacuum line from that port directly to the Weber last night. This morning on the way to work, the car would hesitate and/or stumble, no noise, just bog down a bit on the acceleration and randomly pick back up. Ran fine yesterday, so I unplugged the vacuum line to the EGR. Now it runs super smooth again.

Forgot to add, EGR was recently cleaned, and the intake EGR ports were cleaned during the Weber install. EGR seems to operate properly, opening and closing as I rev the throttle up and down.

So, I've read that keeping the EGR is ideal, but not necessary. Am I missing something on the install, I thought it should be direct from Weber to EGR? Any explanation would be appreciated.

Thx all.

EA81 GL 2dr Hatch

Edited by beamsbox

There is either a thermal vacuum port on the engine or an inline vacuum delay for it. EGR is only supposed to come on during harder acceleration after the engine warms up. By hooking it directly to a ported vacuum source, you're causing it to open when you crack the throttle. If you're in an emissions inspection area, you'll have to hook it up right or they'll fail you. If you're not, use the delete from above. All it does is reduce NOx, nothing else.

Just paid attention to where you are. If the car is older than 25 years, you don't get emissions. Get rid of the EGR.

Edited by skishop69