Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 Brat - EA81 - Lift Question

thornleyjacob

Going to be purchasing a lift kit this weekend for the 84 brat, just a 2". But I've seen a few members post that they have been able to use an outback components to extend the steering shaft, anyone got a part number for that? Or does anyone know the dimensions and spline count for the steering components? There are some places that sell some custom parts and I would want it matched up right.

Thanks,

Jacob

Add a brace to support the lower shaft so it rotates smoothly, otherwise the upper shaft rotates until the lower u joint binds up, then rotation is transferred to the steering rack.

The steeper the angle on the U joints the more exaggerated the effect is.My steering in my 8" lifted ea81 with dual U joints would bind up every 1/2 turn of the wheel and would require significantly more force to turn.after the U joint popped out of binding it would turn for a another 1/2 turn then bind up again....My other shaft that only had 1 u joint wouldn't bind up nearly as bad, but it tore the hell out of the rubber puck on the steering in short order.

I think the one you need is off a 1st gen legacy maybe Patrick at ADF would know. I would definitely get rid of the rag joint while it's apart.

Add a brace to support the lower shaft so it rotates smoothly, otherwise the upper shaft rotates until the lower u joint binds up, then rotation is transferred to the steering rack.

The steeper the angle on the U joints the more exaggerated the effect is.My steering in my 8" lifted ea81 with dual U joints would bind up every 1/2 turn of the wheel and would require significantly more force to turn.after the U joint popped out of binding it would turn for a another 1/2 turn then bind up again....My other shaft that only had 1 u joint wouldn't bind up nearly as bad, but it tore the hell out of the rubber puck on the steering in short order.

Or you could clearance them out with a die grinder like i did on my 6" lift. Mine turn turns freely with no binding.

DSCF6894.JPG

DSCF6890.JPG

The problem is the steering shaft wants to flop around for a bit rather than rotate along its axis because there is too much freedom of motion.You need to constrain one of the shafts so both rotate about their axis so all of the steering wheel rotation is sent to the steering rack.