Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 2004 Subaru Outback wagon suddenly got super loud on acceleration, and I'm guessing this broken pipe is the culprit? (Pic attached.)

Can anyone tell me exactly which part this is, and a general idea of how expensive it might be to repair? Is it just a welding issue, or will the part need to be replaced?

Any DIY exhaust repair options I could try? I do most minor repairs myself, but I have no welding tools.

I can't afford much, so I'm trying to educate myself to ensure I don't get ripped off. I'm new in town, my trusty Subaru guru is 500 miles away. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
post-57361-0-12662200-1454477243_thumb.png

Hm usually there's a flange and gasket at that spot. It's a spot that does tend to rust out I've noticed. That pic it looks to me like maybe it was already repaired once previously, as in the flange cut off and a repair piece slipped over it. I'd think it would be an easy weld repair if you find a good shop. If you're looking to do it on the cheap I have had some good luck with this product: http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/specialized-maintenance-repair/exhaust-system-repair/permatex--1000--plus--exhaust-repair-kit-detail

I've tried a lot of exhaust repair products over the last year or two and that is really the only one that seems to work somewhat well though it's not perfect of course. Figure on it lasting maybe six months.

• Like 1

Looks like it broke at the weld so either get it rewelded by some one else or patch it with something yourself. I've seen people use soup cans and hose clamps to fix stuff like this. You could get a small section of exhaust pipe slightly bigger than yours to slip on and use exhaust clamps (it would be about the same cost to get it rewelded though).

This diagram may not be exactly your vehicle but it's good enough for general understanding:

9899-annotated.jpg

If that part of your exhaust is rusted out, you might want to take a look at the area where your donut gasket is too. Those like to rust out. Maybe it was just cut out and welded like the other repair and is still fine. It's just I've found those two spots tend to rust out within a close time of each other. So if you're getting the one spot welded maybe they can just take care of the other 'while they're down there'.

Good point on the soup can trick. I read someone said packing it with steel wool seems to help it really seal up nice and be quiet. That spot looks like it would be good for the soup can repair since it's accessible and two areas with at least a couple inches of straight run pipe. I was going to try that on mine but I'd needed to have cut the flanges off which I just didn't feel like doing at the time.