Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Battery Cable: What am I missing?

My positive battery cable connector is way corroded, and the corrosion seems to go pretty far down the cable. It doesn't seem to be a problem at the moment. Starting is not a problem and all seems to be well electrically, but I just want to be safe and go ahead and fix it.I know I could just replace the connector, but I figured I may as well go ahead and replace the whole thing, since there's no telling just how far the corrosion goes, and I don't want to deal with cutting and splicing and all that.

Anyhoo, I've been to Perp boys, Autozone, and Advance and have seen aftermarket cables for anywhere from $6.99 to $14.99, yet no one at any of those places can tell me exactly which one I need (guage, length, model number, etc.). I want to be certain before I replace it.

Now, looking online at 1stsubaruparts.com and from my dealer's web catalog, they have them for right at $79. So, what am I missing? Why is the Autozone cable 10 bucks, give or take, but the Sooby brand $79? Is there more to it than just rounded connector on one end to attach to the starter and bolted connector on the other end? Does it come with a case of bourbon or something? :-\

• 8 years later...

The price difference is because the dealer cable is the harness that includes both positive AND negative cables, of the exact length and diameter specified by Subaru. With the exact terminals you need at each end. It's wrapped in wire loom, taped, and even has the clips that secure it in the proper places.

Number 3 here:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_7/electronic/battery_equipment/

The price difference is because the dealer cable is the harness that includes both positive AND negative cables, of the exact length and diameter specified by Subaru. With the exact terminals you need at each end. It's wrapped in wire loom, taped, and even has the clips that secure it in the proper places.

Number 3 here:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_7/electronic/battery_equipment/

So if you needed new cables would you buy the dealer ones?

So if you needed new cables would you buy the dealer ones?

As Cal Look Zero, take the old cable off, take to an after market parts store, and have the counter guy match it up with one that will work. Price should be reasonable. A battery cable is not high tech, so no need to pay $79 for a perfect match from Subaru.

Unless a customer really wants to pay, I just make them a replacement (I have a cable crimp tool;) ) same as buy an aftermarket. These will not last as long as OE, but should be good for 5+ years at least. You have to keep the car 35 more years to Justify the cost of the OE cable

But, since the OE are superior, for my own rigs, I just get a good condition used on from some newish subaru at the wrecker (or from my own pile o' parts)