Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another Subie Won't start thread

Hello all,

First off I've got a 1990 loyale, base ea82 EFI, 5 speed

Sooooooooo about 3 months ago I notice a pretty dramatic drop in my fuel economy 30-32mpg down to 18-20mpg. Around the same time my subie started dying around the same spot on my commute home (13min into my 18min commute). When it died I'd here a clicking sound and poof! engine off. While rolling I press in the clutch, turn it over, it starts and I'm on my way. Well yesterday I drive to church and after service I go to start my car and I can't get it to fire. It turns over, and every now and again a few cylinders will light but its only a few sputters and gone. I popped off a fuel line and turned it over and it looks like the fuel pump is happy. Tonight I'll pull the plugs and see if I can get a couple clues as to what is going on but I'm pretty stumped..... The plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ignition coil, battery, and timing belts are all pretty new (<9 months).

Any ideas??? I kinda wonder about the MAF but I don't think that would come into play until after the vehicle is warmed and the ECU kicks in.

Thanks!

-K

Timing belt tensioners are always suggested to be replaced when belts are changed.. I never have.. possibly the tensioner/s were not released back to apply pressure and one of the 2 belt has slipped? Let us know..

Thanks for the reply Len Dawg! I replace the tensioners when I did belts. Went out tonight to start my troubleshooting and it fired right up! :huh: Got it up to temp and check timing and everything was pretty spot on. Pulled plugs and they look good, maybe a touch on the hot/lean side but well with in the norm. I'm kinda stumped and now I don't trust my subie... 

That is troublesome though... where does the clicking come from? Under the dashboard? I know that when I just turn the key to start I hear a click like ignition.. perhaps a relay is starting to fail? And there is one last hidden gremlin that i found... the screw on the rotor came out which in turn left me stranded 10 mins into my 20 min commute..

That is troublesome though... where does the clicking come from? Under the dashboard? I know that when I just turn the key to start I hear a click like ignition.. perhaps a relay is starting to fail? And there is one last hidden gremlin that i found... the screw on the rotor came out which in turn left me stranded 10 mins into my 20 min commute..

Sounds like it's under the dash. I'll do some checking on relays. I'll double check the rotor screw as well but I'm fairly certain that is locked down pretty tight....

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I've taken so long to get back here but here is what I've found. No ECU codes. If I pull the battery cable and let the car sit for a minute it will fire up and get me home. I did notice that my CEL does not come on when my key is in the on position (Before I start the car). Bad ECU???

When it died I'd here a clicking sound and poof! engine off.

That certainly indicates an electrical problem.  These can be hard to track down.  The fact that you can get it restarted hints at a loose connection somewhere that is causing a momentary short.

A bad ECU is rare.  More likely the bad relay scenario.  The light problem could just be a burned out bulb, but should be checked.