Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 EJ22 quick start up question

I have 4 (1995) EJ engines, but my 95 Legacy is the only one that when it's started cold, it "revs" up to like 3000 for just a second, or 2 immediately on startup. It then has normal cold idle and then warms up to a lower normal idle. No other issues...perfect car. I just HATE to have a cold car REV, even for just a second! The colder it is out the higher it revs. Summer is no issue.

Ideas? Can this be adjusted?

Thanks!  Todd

• Like 1

Thanks, Fairtax.  Maybe we got the 1 time out of 100!  Swapped MAPS & PSSSV solenoid--no change.  Replaced vacuum hoses and "tee"--no change.  Was hoping there might be another seal that could be the culprit.  Oh well, back to the drawing board!

Todd--sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Did you replace ALL vacuum lines under the hood? Even small sections under intake manifold runners? Did you inspect the brake booster hose too?

Think mine revs to 1500 rpm briefly when cold, but doesn't hang there too long. And mechanically it's running as good as it ever will, but it's had IAC cleaned, throttle body and throttle blade cleaned, accelerator cable lubed as well as the linkage, ALL vacuum lines replaced, including the hard to reach sensor under the passenger-side intake runner and EVAP hoses, fuel filter changed, plugs/wires, air filter, etc. Basically anything that improves the engine's ability to go w/o issues.

Your IAC may be sticking or getting an incorrect signal to up idle more, or you might have leaks around fittings going into it.