Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Auto Tranny problems AND MORE (HELP)

Hello. I just bought an 83 SUbaru GL 4wd 4d HB. It will move in 1st and 2nd gear but when it gets to 3rd it revs out. It seems like it is slipping. Any solutions?

And when i give it gas, it bogs down and dies most the time. This is usually when it is hot. Any solutions to this one? Thanks for your time.

Would it just be easier to swap the AT for a MT? And if so, are the same year/engine size directly compatible?

Does it slip in reverse? Sounds like a high/reverse band to me...

Do a stall test in reverse. Put the car in reverse, mash the brake as hard as you can and floor it for like 2 seconds. RPM should increase to 1500-2000 RPM or so, if it does that and holds, you are good. If it revs up way high, you are slipping. DO NOT hold it floored for more than 3-5 seconds, just long enough to verify that it is or isnt slipping. I wou;dn't rule the governor out, automatics can be weird. Very likely it's the high/reverse band*.

* It's been a lil while and I can't remember whether the it's the low/reverse that uses a band, or the high reverse. One of the two is a band, the other is a "multi-disc brake" rather than a band, but I am fairly positive it is the low/reverse that uses teh brake. Regardless, it's the high reverse that I suspect. The band IS adjustable, on some models, however I do not remember exactly how to do it, and if you do it wrong the adjuster falls off the servo and you have to tear the tranny apart to fix it :-P But basically it is you loosen the lock nut, then you tighten the adjusting bolt down to a certain torque, which is usually given in inch-pounds, then you back off the adjusting bolt a certain number of turns, and tighten the lock nut. if you have a Haynes manual, the procedure is in there under Automatic Transaxle.

I had a problem similar to that. For me it was so much easier to just put in a MT and be done with the AT. I get better gas milage and the RPM's are in a better range while cruising on the highway. I did the job in two days after work, which included the time to go to PAP and get the MT off a car.

In my experiance with AT is that even if this problem is just a loose band, if you don't do a full overhaul you are just asking to end up on-the-road-dead some time soon. And a full overhaul will involve a lot more work then swaping the AT for an MT.

My .02 cents worth

My loyale had a problem like this, I ended up replacing the transmission.

you prob. have either a bad govenor (mine was cored flat in the center) or bad bands\clutches. Mine had both. It would be alot less work to just replace it with a transmission of your choice. I just bolted in the same type.

there are 3 levels of difficulty to go with: (Easy to Hard)

1. replace it with the same type of transmission, complete bolt on

2. replace it with a manual, tranny bolts to engine and drivetrain no problem, but you have to mount a pedal box and do some other stuff

3. tear apart the tranny to fix it.

number three is not worth it.

HEY THANKS EVERYONE. I messed around with that band thing on the side of the tranny, I still need to adjust it a little. I looked at the govenor, it was fine, but the housing was loose, would that cause slipping? It was leaking some fierce ATF. SO i put some Liquid Gasket on it and tightened it back down. Now i have 3rd gear.

What would happen if I tighted the rear brake band too tigh anyways?