Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 loyale waterpump

The timing belt cover has to come off for sure (crank pulley has to come off for that...). To do it correctly, the timing belts should be removed.

You, evidently, have not done too many water pumps  ;) . There's a reason that it's frequently done preventatively on most timing belt jobs.

After you get the water pump replaced, you will understand why we ditch the timing belt covers. I always remove the radiator, just to have more room to work.

I even had somebody that knows these old Subaru very well and he thought I was going to have to take the timing belt off but he looked and said I didnt.

It is driven by the v-belts, but the body of the pump is very much behind the timing belt. Every one I've done, I did while doing a timing belt job anyway. I think I've heard that people have been able to sneak it out from there without removing the timing belt, but I can't confirm that.

The outer timing belt cover bolts to the water pump, so you'll need to take that off to even see 2 of the mounting bolts.

I would remove the radiator for access, replace the timing belts, reseal the oil pump at the very least while I was in that far. Or just rip the whole thing out and put a real engine in there  :brow:

It is driven by the v-belts, but the body of the pump is very much behind the timing belt. Every one I've done, I did while doing a timing belt job anyway. I think I've heard that people have been able to sneak it out from there without removing the timing belt, but I can't confirm that.

The outer timing belt cover bolts to the water pump, so you'll need to take that off to even see 2 of the mounting bolts.

I would remove the radiator for access, replace the timing belts, reseal the oil pump at the very least while I was in that far. Or just rip the whole thing out and put a real engine in there :brow:

I've got all the bolts off of the water pump except for one of them which is blocked by the upper radiator pipe to the water pump which will not come put of the water pump for some reason. Have you done a water pump on a 93 loyale? It's different then the 90 and I wish I had the funds to ej22 swap it haha sadly I'm 17 years old and broke.

It's virtually the exact same pump on all EA82s (2 different hub heights, but same idea). I've done it on a '92, '88, and '85 for sure....probably more.

there's a bolt under the alternator that holds that water pipe to the head, then it should come out of the housing fairly easily, there's just an O-ring there, (helps to remove that radiator hose, too).

It's virtually the exact same pump on all EA82s (2 different hub heights, but same idea). I've done it on a '92, '88, and '85 for sure....probably more.

there's a bolt under the alternator that holds that water pipe to the head, then it should come out of the housing fairly easily, there's just an O-ring there, (helps to remove that radiator hose, too).

Ended up getting the old one off and the new one on without taking the timing belt off or messing with the timing at all. Turns out it was the water pump hose that was bad so looks like I have a spare water pump for the future.

When were the timing belts last changed? How many miles are on the Loyale?

197k they didn't look to old but I do think I need to do the timing on it soon. I have this idle problem that feels like a misfire but I don't have a misfire or a blown head gasket. All plugs are good everything is fine so Im thinking I need to do the timing. Got the water pump replaced and everything back on with out having to take the timing belt off.it only took 3 days lol

If you did not put the timing covers back on, you can check to see if the cam sprockets timing marks are at 12 and 6.    My first Soob , the timing belts were one tooth off.   I had no experience with Subarus, drove it for 6 years with the timing off.  The car ran 'okay'...  Then found the problem when I decided it was time to change my timing belts.   With the covers off, I found the belts were off 1 tooth.

• 2 weeks later...