Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello everybody! Just a little background on my situation. I stumbled across a 1990 legacy for 600 bucks. Guy said he put in new tranny and had the engine out to replace seals and gaskets. Well 380 miles into my trip I stop and find I've lost 3 quarts of oil. Holy cow! Get home and see the oil pan and passenger side of engine has a thick coat of oil along withe a few drips of oIL on the underside of the timing belt cover. What are your thoughts on what might be my issue?

M valve cover gaskets are clean and I can see that they are new.

I never thought about it. I just got caught up in all the cam and crank seal talk. But reading about what a clogged pvc valve does I hope that's it. I feel like the compression is good. I have good consistent power while driving but when at idle it runs rough and even stalls out once. On my trip every time would let off gas to slow down to speed limit the CEL would come on till I pushed the gas.

If its fresh oil, that much oil runnin down from the timing cover area is going to be from a cam seal or the oil pump or front crank seal.

Like LM said, need to get it cleaned up and watch where the oil is coming from. Pull the timing covers off so you can see the front seals.

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be leaking that badly? I just relied that he said rear cam seal o ring! I thought he said the rear main seal. But I had an idea the cam o-ring might be leaking to but idk how much it can leak. It was covered in oil and dirt though.

It's under pressure so when the o-ring splits it will puke oil.

(which is what happens after they get old and dry)

Valve cover gaskets also leak at the lower corners. The oil tends to run towards the back of the engine.

Rear mains don't leak on these unless someone has tried to replace it before. An oil leak from the center at the back is usually the separator plate or the access cover in the bellhousing.

Pics and write-up here

http://beergarage.com/Subaru.aspx

Edited by Fairtax4me